Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How many hours can a 1L work and still be successful in law school?  (Read 8652 times)

kurtybear

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: How many hours can a 1L work and still be successful in law school?
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2010, 07:59:52 PM »
No, I attend classes typically on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday evenings.  I usually devote one full weekend day to studying, the other to my kids.  It seems to work out.  I have learned to be very efficient in my studying; after doing this for 3 1/2 years, the law seems to all be the same  :)
Esq. in California

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2010, 09:03:41 PM »
I have noticed how many of the classes have the same general subjects and things to memorise. So you think it gets easier each term? Thats cool. I think a lot of people have to study more since they dont pay attention in class enough and goof off while studying. Being a back to school after work guy too, I understand what you're saying about being more able to focus.

No, I attend classes typically on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday evenings.  I usually devote one full weekend day to studying, the other to my kids.  It seems to work out.  I have learned to be very efficient in my studying; after doing this for 3 1/2 years, the law seems to all be the same  :)

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2010, 11:32:33 PM »
Anything can be done if you're willing to work very hard and be tired all the time.  I am a 3L, I work a 40-50 hour job in a management position, and I am a single dad to two kids.

So, you are either a part-time student (which is a different category) or you're violating ABA rules, which to put it mildly is a Really Bad Idea (TM)
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2010, 11:33:54 PM »
Retard, he said he was less than 9 credits and even 12 credits can work fulltime. Learn to read before you bittch.

Anything can be done if you're willing to work very hard and be tired all the time.  I am a 3L, I work a 40-50 hour job in a management position, and I am a single dad to two kids.

So, you are either a part-time student (which is a different category) or you're violating ABA rules, which to put it mildly is a Really Bad Idea (TM)

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2010, 11:36:34 PM »
I suppose I should have phrased it better, my point was mainly that his scenario has literally nothing to do with OP.

Not sure what's with the attitude, but idiots in law school is hardly anything new, so have fun bro.

Retard, he said he was less than 9 credits and even 12 credits can work fulltime. Learn to read before you bittch.

3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2010, 11:48:15 PM »
ok, I hear you there. Sorry if I snapped. Yeah, that last part is true. Best to you as well bud.  ;)

I suppose I should have phrased it better, my point was mainly that his scenario has literally nothing to do with OP.

Not sure what's with the attitude, but idiots in law school is hardly anything new, so have fun bro.

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2010, 11:55:41 PM »
ok, I hear you there. Sorry if I snapped. Yeah, that last part is true. Best to you as well bud.  ;)

It's all good, I like snapping at people on the intarwebs too actually. Spices up the discussions a bit ;)
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

lovelyjj

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2010, 07:04:21 PM »
So assuming a student is working at the most efficient rate, how many hours of studying one should do to successfully pass law school? Would 30 hours be enough per week? 40? I know there are individual differences, but I also believe there are minimums and maximum numbers. For instance, no matter how smart you are you probably won't be able to learn everything necessary if you put in less than 10 hours per week. Any ideas?

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2010, 10:03:57 PM »
So assuming a student is working at the most efficient rate, how many hours of studying one should do to successfully pass law school? Would 30 hours be enough per week? 40? I know there are individual differences, but I also believe there are minimums and maximum numbers. For instance, no matter how smart you are you probably won't be able to learn everything necessary if you put in less than 10 hours per week. Any ideas?

I like to point out that there's an important difference between 1L and upper classes here. During your 2L and 3L you can easily work the ABA-allowed 20 hours a week. I wouldn't recommend it (unless it's a law-related job), but you can do it without problems.

1L, as I've said before, I think you're doing yourself a huge disfavor by working at all. As for studying 30 hour per week? Are we talking including travel and lectures and seminars? Or are we talking just reading?

You're going to be reading 300-400 pages a week, and it's not simple, quick Harry Potter pages. You're also going to have to remember substantial portions of it, you're going to have to analyze it enough to understand they're not just telling you a story, but teaching you law. On top of that, you're going to have 2 memos and 2 briefs to write (at most schools anyway), on top of a mock trial oral argument. Ideally, you're also going to want to participate in some student organizations.

In short; 1L = 0 hours a week
2L & 3L = 20 hours a week if you feel like it.
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.