Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Canadian student trying for American Law School  (Read 2766 times)

barryb

• View Profile
Canadian student trying for American Law School
« on: March 24, 2010, 10:06:48 PM »
Okay guys my GPA is a 2.9 and my LSAT score is a 156. I want to try for many law schools in the U.S such as Cooley University, Appalachian, Texas Southern and some other third tier and fourth tier l;aw schools. By any chance do i have a chance to get into these law schools. And do you know of anyone who made it into these law schools with these scores?

Thanks Alot and Good Luck

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian student trying for American Law School
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 12:40:56 AM »
Okay guys my GPA is a 2.9 and my LSAT score is a 156. I want to try for many law schools in the U.S such as Cooley University, Appalachian, Texas Southern and some other third tier and fourth tier l;aw schools. By any chance do i have a chance to get into these law schools. And do you know of anyone who made it into these law schools with these scores?

Why do you want to attend a US law school, rather than a Canadian one? It is difficult to get back into Canada without jumping through a bunch of hoops, and unless you are a citizen, you won't be able to stay in the United States post-graduation unless you have an employer willing to sign for you.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 01:13:56 AM »
You mention Cooley. A lot, I repeat LOT of Cooley grads go onto Canada. If fact there is an ILS group just for that nation. Heck, America rules I can't blame you for wanting to come here!  ;)
You should be able to stay if you do the right paperwork, and if you wanted to go back home you'd still have the time of your life before you left. I say go for it.

barryb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 10:27:41 AM »
Yes its very hard to get into law school in Canada because their are only 12 law schools in all of Canada, making it very competitive. Thats why i was wondering with my scores would i be able to get into any American law schools ?

Thanks Alot

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 12:02:48 PM »
Yes its very hard to get into law school in Canada because their are only 12 law schools in all of Canada, making it very competitive. Thats why i was wondering with my scores would i be able to get into any American law schools ?

Thanks Alot

You can definitely get into some American law schools. Whether you should or not depends upon your goals post-graduation.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 01:20:40 PM »
It sounds like he wants in Ameican lawschools due to the small amount of choice in Canada. Even if he does only transfer back to Canada a day after graduation and have to take a few extra tests or an internship,etc so what? Boo-hoo..... Whatever it takes to be a lawyer.

If he can get into Canadian ones awsome, if not then just pick one that Canada accepts(I believe that all ABA is that) snd do whatever you gotta do to get where you need to be. There's a different between being cautious and a coward, be the prior not the latter. Just do your reseach(look before you leap) and you'll be fine, regardless of the fears of others.

barryb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 02:40:03 PM »
Thanks alot you guys but i really need to know if my LSAT score of 156 and my GPA of 2.9 can get me into any American Law Schools. I really need to know so it can boost my confidence.

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 04:03:19 PM »
It sounds like he wants in Ameican lawschools due to the small amount of choice in Canada. Even if he does only transfer back to Canada a day after graduation and have to take a few extra tests or an internship,etc so what? Boo-hoo..... Whatever it takes to be a lawyer.

If he can get into Canadian ones awsome, if not then just pick one that Canada accepts(I believe that all ABA is that) snd do whatever you gotta do to get where you need to be. There's a different between being cautious and a coward, be the prior not the latter. Just do your reseach(look before you leap) and you'll be fine, regardless of the fears of others.

Working as a lawyer in Canada after getting a US J.D. is a little tougher than "taking a few tests." He should really do actual research on this, not merely listen to American students who don't actually know how it works.

I believe he would need to take an extra year of courses after graduation to work in Canada. And then he would need to find an article, and I am not sure how easy or difficult that might be, coming from a US school.

He should really talk to some people who have done this before, if he is considering going to law school in the US to work in Canada.

rene_descartes

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 07:28:41 PM »
hey

I am a Canadian studying law in the U.S. I am a second year student attending school in the DC area.

I plan to get some work experience in the U.S. before heading back. My family is in Canada and eventually i want to settle in Canada because i have been travelling in the states for so long and going to school here, I've decided that I want to move back eventually.

If you study in the U.S, you have one year of OPT (optional practicl training) after graduation and then you can get any work experience; and after that you can think about moving back. But yeah, you and I will both have to go take one year of classes to fill in the missing gaps. With the economy the way it is right now in the U.S, i seriously think about moving back home.   

As a Canadian, i'm not qualified for a lot of jobs here. In a way, we are considered second-class citizens here unless one of your parents is American and you have dual-citizenship (which many Canadians do if they are in the US).

Regardless, I've had a great education so far and met and seen a lot of things and people that I would never have had the opportunity to see in Canada.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me.   

MorningStar

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 08:27:21 PM »
Some bad advice going around here.  Do not, under any circumstances, come to the US as a non-citizen and spend $100,000 on a 4th tier regional law degree.  You're going to put yourself in an incredibly difficult situation wherein you can't secure a legal position in the US, your OPT time is running out, and you can't get into an LLM program in Canada (not to mention the additional steps you'd have to take to practice there).  

With the numbers you're sitting on, my best advice would be to continue taking the LSAT till you can bring your score up to 160ish+ and have a shot at getting into one of the lower-rung Canadian law schools like Windsor.  Then if by some miracle you're a spectacular student and really want to practice in the US you can later get an LLM from a T-20 US school.  

If you can't push your LSAT over 160 and you've got a sub 3.0 undergrad GPA, you might want to strongly reconsider a career in law (unless of course there are some confounding factors you've omitted).