Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: improving your GPA ??  (Read 4336 times)

talin

• View Profile
    • Email
improving your GPA ??
« on: March 24, 2010, 12:05:36 PM »
 I graduated many years ago and I have a Bachelors degree but my GPA is low and I want to  improve my GPA. If I take classes at the community college near me, will this help raise my LSAC GPA? Thanks in advance.
Please help

SaraJean

• View Profile
Re: improving your GPA ??
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 10:42:24 AM »
In a word, no.  Any coursework you take after receiving your Bachelor's degree is considered graduate coursework and isn't included in one's LSAC GPA.  On one's grade summary, it is not summarized, and the report simply says "see transcript."

I know this because I took a sophomore-level counseling course for my own edification after receiving my bachelor's degree.  What really annoyed me was that I got an "A" in the course and it didn't help my LSAC GPA.

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 11:39:22 PM »
Like the above poster said, only courses that were completed to get your bachelors degree count. (Your first bachelors degree--going back and getting a new one won't help either.)

SaraJean

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 01:05:13 PM »
Like the above poster said, only courses that were completed to get your bachelors degree count. (Your first bachelors degree--going back and getting a new one won't help either.)

Actually, it's not only courses completed to get your first bachelor's degree.  It's college-level coursework completed before one receives one's first bachelor's degree. 

To illustrate the distinction: Suppose I'm working on a Bachelor's Degree at State University and I spot a great-sounding cooking class at Community College.  If I take that cooking class and don't transfer it to State University, it's not taken to get my bachelor's degree.  However, it is included in my LSAC GPA.

talin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 05:08:23 PM »
thank you so much everybody for your information .I really appreciate it.

SaraJean i just want to make that I understood it clearly : no matter if the college degree is transfered into your  university or it's just a cooking course , if it's not after your firt bachelor's degree , it will be counted on your LSAC Gpa ?
I mean that cooking course can improve your GPA ???
What if it's not from a community college ? i mean if its from a private college???I have a paralegal diploma from a private college , and it was right before i got my Bachelor's degree . My grades in that college course for paralegal were excellent but not in my bachelor's grades , so will that improve my LSAC GPA ??????

please lemme know
thanks

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 09:15:46 PM »
Your LSAT score outweighs the GPA 3:1 anyway. Don't worry about it.
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 11:13:54 PM »
Yes an no. No it won't help your undergrad degree GPA, but HELL YES!!! It'll help you're "cumulative GPA" which is a huge part of what the LSAC shows on your LSDAS file. It merges ALL schools together. That's why some guys who had bad GPA's at one school and transfer to another and graduate with a 4.0 there still can have a 2.75 on their file that lawschools see. So yeah, it may be worth it.

I graduated many years ago and I have a Bachelors degree but my GPA is low and I want to  improve my GPA. If I take classes at the community college near me, will this help raise my LSAC GPA? Thanks in advance.
Please help

SaraJean

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 09:45:01 AM »
Yes an no. No it won't help your undergrad degree GPA, but HELL YES!!! It'll help you're "cumulative GPA" which is a huge part of what the LSAC shows on your LSDAS file. It merges ALL schools together. That's why some guys who had bad GPA's at one school and transfer to another and graduate with a 4.0 there still can have a 2.75 on their file that lawschools see. So yeah, it may be worth it.

That "cumulative GPA" only includes coursework taken before one receives one's first bachelor's degree.  Since the OP has received a degree already, any coursework he takes now will be considered graduate coursework and not included in his cumulative GPA.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 10:34:34 AM »
thank you so much everybody for your information .I really appreciate it.

SaraJean i just want to make that I understood it clearly : no matter if the college degree is transfered into your  university or it's just a cooking course , if it's not after your firt bachelor's degree , it will be counted on your LSAC Gpa ?
I mean that cooking course can improve your GPA ???
What if it's not from a community college ? i mean if its from a private college???I have a paralegal diploma from a private college , and it was right before i got my Bachelor's degree . My grades in that college course for paralegal were excellent but not in my bachelor's grades , so will that improve my LSAC GPA ??????

please lemme know
thanks

To the bolded: Yes. There were courses I took at a community college when I was in high school and those were all counted in my LSAC GPA, even if I didn't transfer them for my bachelor's. For your paralegal certificate, same thing. If you finished that before your bachelor's degree, it will count towards your LSAC GPA.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 11:01:53 AM »
It not me "mandatory" to report post bachelors GPA(it was for mine at my school) but they won't stop you from doing it either at LSAC. I know because people do it with a masters degree all the friggin' time.