Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hofstra vs. Suffolk  (Read 1099 times)

kmarrazza

• View Profile
    • Email
Hofstra vs. Suffolk
« on: March 23, 2010, 09:33:05 AM »
Please help with any advice you can: I am accepted to Suffok and Hofstra but can't decide between the two. I know Hofstra is a higher tier and ranked #100, but other than that Suffolk appears to be better. I would like to work for the government and Suffolk seems to graduate a ton of those folks, but I wonder if my job prospects wouldn't be better closer to the city.

Viking Quest

• View Profile
Re: Hofstra vs. Suffolk
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 01:57:05 PM »
It is true that Suffolk graduates a ton of folks, they have maybe 1700 students in that school, whom you would be competing against for jobs when you get out. 

In which city are you hoping to get a job after graduation?

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 08:18:42 PM »
Do not get caught up in the rankings, when you are dealing with tier 2,3,4 schools it really does not matter. The only question you should ask yourself is what city you want to live in. Suffolk will open doors in Boston and Hofstra will open doors in New York.

No employer is really going to care whether you went to the 99th or 114th best school. Both are fine schools, but the odds are about 90% that if you go to Suffolk you will end up working in Boston and if you go to Hofstra you will end up working in New York.

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 09:33:32 PM »
It is true that Suffolk graduates a ton of folks, they have maybe 1700 students in that school, whom you would be competing against for jobs when you get out. 

In which city are you hoping to get a job after graduation?

On the flip side of this coin, it also means a huge alumni network who might look more favorably at grads.

Viking Quest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 09:23:52 AM »
>>On the flip side of this coin, it also means a huge alumni network who might look more favorably at grads.

If that's the criteria, then Cooley is twice as good. 

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 08:24:00 PM »
Do not get caught up in the rankings, when you are dealing with tier 2,3,4 schools it really does not matter. The only question you should ask yourself is what city you want to live in. Suffolk will open doors in Boston and Hofstra will open doors in New York.

No employer is really going to care whether you went to the 99th or 114th best school. Both are fine schools, but the odds are about 90% that if you go to Suffolk you will end up working in Boston and if you go to Hofstra you will end up working in New York.

This is the only answer that matters here. Pick the place where you want to start your career. Being a New Yorkers, I'll give thumbs up to Hofstra, it's a fine school, nothing wrong with that choice.

As for alumni networks, forget it. People need to start preparing for the new legal world, and that means getting a job the same way other people do; mail spamming and telephone terror.
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.