Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: is anyone else having trouble finding rec letters  (Read 2450 times)

tvw74

• View Profile
    • Email
is anyone else having trouble finding rec letters
« on: March 23, 2010, 01:13:32 AM »
I go to a big public school in TX and have not always wanted to go to law school and so i havent been exactly cultivating all my teachers for rec letters. this semester i realized i want to do law school and i have an art teacher ive had for 3 years, whom I have an alright relationship with, but would she write a letter on how awesome i am i dont know... other teachers i feel like just one of theire students, no special relationship. i could start going to office hours and at least have them know who i am, but im still skeptical that any of these teachers would want to write me a meaningful rec letter.. not sure what to do...

jasontaylor9944

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: is anyone else having trouble finding rec letters
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 03:49:31 AM »
Now this is just a suggestion, I do not want to get clobbered for saying this, but by the time I had decided to apply for law school, I was out of school for over a year and I had no special relationship with any of my old professors to speak of.  I had four letters of rec written for me.  I work in the medical profession, and the four letters were from 2 managers, a co-worker, and a Dr. whom I work with.  I am not saying that you need to get one from your boss, but be creative.  If you aren't comfortable getting one from a teacher, I would suggests searching for a superior at work, family friend who is established in the community maybe.  I really think it's more important to get a rec from someone who actually gives a damn about you and will write a good rec than to get a professor who doesn't even know who you are. 

I don't know I could be wrong, but that's my suggestion.

Best of luck to you buddy.

tvw74

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 09:46:27 AM »
yea goood point. i am getting one from a manager at my workplase that ive been in contact with for 3 years. its a restaurant though, not really anything law related.. my father is a lawyer, and has lawyer friends, none of whom i know now, but i could meet them i suppose; doesnt really sound like a great chance there though. i hear that it is really important to get at least one if not two from teachers though, maybe one work related, and two from teachers total. especially if your not  a major with a lot of writing reqs like i am (studio art)

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 05:36:19 PM »
yea goood point. i am getting one from a manager at my workplase that ive been in contact with for 3 years. its a restaurant though, not really anything law related.. my father is a lawyer, and has lawyer friends, none of whom i know now, but i could meet them i suppose; doesnt really sound like a great chance there though. i hear that it is really important to get at least one if not two from teachers though, maybe one work related, and two from teachers total. especially if your not  a major with a lot of writing reqs like i am (studio art)

Get the art teacher to write you one, and professional recs for the other two.

Get some articles published about art in the op-ed section of the school newspaper, the local paper, start blogging...anything to add writing experience to your resume.

BTW what was your original plan with that art degree?  What were you going to do with it upon graduation?

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 01:04:54 PM »

Get the art teacher to write you one, and professional recs for the other two.

Get some articles published about art in the op-ed section of the school newspaper, the local paper, start blogging...anything to add writing experience to your resume.

BTW what was your original plan with that art degree?  What were you going to do with it upon graduation?

I really was curious.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 09:52:04 PM »
Any teacher is an ok LOR but better from undergrad than highschool. Any work in a legal field would help too. If you were in the military ask a CO to write you one too.

tvw74

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 10:11:13 PM »
orginally wanted go to med school but I realized that I am pretty bad at science

richard85moon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 08:31:06 AM »
When we are going to study, we must have to think until where we are.. I mean we must have to think things that we can and we can.. Nice topic.

modern furniture online
modern sofas