Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Studio Art major applying to law school..  (Read 909 times)

tvw74

• View Profile
    • Email
Studio Art major applying to law school..
« on: March 21, 2010, 04:43:06 PM »
I go to a top 50 public univ in Texas, and am a Studio Art major with a concentration in ceramics. GPA isnt that great 3.2-3.3 but my LSAT will be in the 165-170 range. Im wondering what law schools will think of my major. I also want to pursue JD/MBA but wont have any real work experience, not like a studio art major can really get you a job anyways, although i do have a decent resume as a selling artist.... I woudl really like to work in a big city like Chicago, NYC or LA. I know biglaw is a long shot and would depend on how well i did in law school. So i will mainly apply to schools in those areas, might throw in pepperdine, UNC, UHouston, UT and U washington st louis. Im very interested in IP law but have read that it is important that you have some sort of science or engineering background for that field. I started off premed in undergrad but i dont think that will help me too much there. anyone else who is an art major or who knows/knew one who applied and did or didnt get into law school, let me know what you know. Art and law/business are very different fields but for me it is a good mix.

SaraJean

• View Profile
Re: Studio Art major applying to law school..
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 01:19:31 PM »
"Art and law/business are very different fields but for me it is a good mix."

I'm a performing artist, so I understand some of the issues you're facing.  Art and law are not as unrelated as one would think at first.  My first-choice law school has a "Law, Technology and the Arts" program with classes taught by intellectual property faculty.  Also, if an graphic design firm or museum wanted to hire an attorney, don't you think a candidate with a visual art background would be preferable to a scientist-type who knows nothing about art?