Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transfer to RWU  (Read 2133 times)

coto29

Transfer to RWU
« on: March 20, 2010, 08:11:49 PM »
I am a 1L at Appalachian, which has a different grading scale.  As such, I need to aim low in my transferring options.  I'm not saying RWU is a bad school.  My number one concern is getting a job when I graduate.  From this post, that looks rough coming out of RMU.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Transfer to RWU
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 02:40:40 AM »
Don't transfer from a t-4 to another t-4, or t-3, or t-2 unless you want to live in the area it is located. If you are doing good enough to transfer ask for scholarship money and save as much as you can. The reality is getting a job from any school is hard, maybe Harvard, Yale and those schools are exceptions, but employers are not going to chase you down if you go to Franklin Pierce, Roger Williams, Hofstra,  Appalachian, etc it really be easy to get a start no matter where you go, so you might as well save as much money as you can in getting your J.D.. 

Getting a job is a bi*ch no matter what your degree is in. If you get an MBA, Master's in Aerospace Engineering, Doctorate in Clinical Psychology etc it will be hard to get a job that is life. School and the real world are two very different things. Not to say you fall in this category, but I am always baffled that people are shocked when they can't find jobs easily after graduation. I assume a lot of people complaining on this site went straight from undergrad to law school and didn't go through the post bachelors degree job hunt when you realize that when you graduate employers are not standing by the stage with contracts in hand.

Bottom line is finding a job sucks, but no matter what your degree or where you went you are likely going to have to go through some s*it to find a job and after going through a bunch of sh*it your first job will likely not be your dream job. 

coto29

Re: Transfer to RWU
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 07:20:06 PM »
I want to transfer for several reasons.  One is region.  RI isn't a bad place to live and RWU is the only school in the state.  Appalachian is in the middle of no where and has a 50% employment rate.  That scares me.  I applied late to law schools last year and didn't do the research on the schools I should have.  I'd like to correct that mistake if I can.  Ranking don't seem to important (on the contrary they look pointless and more for marketing than anything else), but employment rates are.
There are only a few school that I have found with lower employment rates for grads.  Appalachian isn't a bad school, it just has no region to support it.  Well that and they changed the grading scale to force people to stay and lied about it.  I'd call that unethical and quite uncool.