Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Wake Forest, Elon, or UNC?  (Read 6444 times)

Expost Facto

• View Profile
Wake Forest, Elon, or UNC?
« on: March 17, 2010, 04:08:09 AM »
I want to attend law school and eventually practice in North Carolina.  I have been accepted at Wake Forest and Elon so far and hope for an acceptance from UNC as well.  After visiting all these schools, Elon seemed like the best place to be.  They've also offered me a lot of money. I don't know what to do.  I went into my cycle with Elon being my last choice because it is so new. However, after visiting the school I feel like they have much more to offer in regards to actually educating me and preparing me for success.  Should I choose a school with long established prestige (and potentially better job prospects), or should I go with a better quality education at a new and exciting institution?

I know other people who have turned down offers from UNC and Wake Forest to attend Elon, and they don't regret it. However, they haven't graduated and experienced the market.  Then again, Elon's job placement for their class of 2009 was at 90% after 9 months.  This is pretty much in line with other schools in the state.  UNC and Wake were at about 95%.  I don't know what to do.  I had always dreamed of going to UNC, but I was so disappointed when I visited and sat in on a class, and spoke with the students and professors.  I really liked  Wake Forest and Elon.  Other schools in NC were a waste of my time, especially Charlotte and Campbell.  NCCU wasn't as bad as I thought, I just don't want to live in Durham. Advice anyone?

petermharrington

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wake Forest, Elon, or UNC?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 07:38:01 AM »

You would be crazy not to go to Wake Forest or UNC.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 01:02:45 AM »
I want to attend law school and eventually practice in North Carolina.  I have been accepted at Wake Forest and Elon so far and hope for an acceptance from UNC as well.  After visiting all these schools, Elon seemed like the best place to be.  They've also offered me a lot of money. I don't know what to do.  I went into my cycle with Elon being my last choice because it is so new. However, after visiting the school I feel like they have much more to offer in regards to actually educating me and preparing me for success.  Should I choose a school with long established prestige (and potentially better job prospects), or should I go with a better quality education at a new and exciting institution?

I know other people who have turned down offers from UNC and Wake Forest to attend Elon, and they don't regret it. However, they haven't graduated and experienced the market.  Then again, Elon's job placement for their class of 2009 was at 90% after 9 months.  This is pretty much in line with other schools in the state.  UNC and Wake were at about 95%.  I don't know what to do.  I had always dreamed of going to UNC, but I was so disappointed when I visited and sat in on a class, and spoke with the students and professors.  I really liked  Wake Forest and Elon.  Other schools in NC were a waste of my time, especially Charlotte and Campbell.  NCCU wasn't as bad as I thought, I just don't want to live in Durham. Advice anyone?

Do you have ANY idea how misleading those stats can be.  Do you know that they might have send out surveys to the top 15% of their grads only?  Do you know that they count working at Burger King or working part time making $12/hour at a solo's law firm as "employed?"  

You're not going on a vacation, it does not matter how you "feel" about the class or the atmosphere.  Go to UNC or Wake Forest if the money is good.  3 years will go by before you know it. 

You pre-1Ls are so naive, it's shocking!  

petermharrington

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 08:02:30 AM »

If you go to Elon over WF and UNC, you're going to regret it for the rest of your life.

Expost Facto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 02:21:43 AM »
Where does all the hate for Elon come from?  I'm especially skeptical now.  But hey, if elon's numbers are misleading..who's to say UNC and Wake's aren't?  I think I'm going to go with the money.  Elon has professors from some of the top schools in the country. They have offered me way more money, and they seem most willing to aid in the assurance of my success.  I feel like it's crazy to pass this up.  I want to end up working for myself eventually anyway.  I just dont want the debt associated with Wake.  If wake was free..I'd probably go there instead.  Waitlisted at UNC by the way. Elon it is.

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 06:41:49 PM »
Elon has professors from some of the top schools in the country.

So does Wake.  What are your scholarship conditions at Elon?  If you don't make them, you'll be paying the same price for a sub-par school...that's probably where the 'hate' is coming from.  It's usually, but by no means always, better to go to the best school in the region where you want to live.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 09:40:19 PM »
Where does all the hate for Elon come from?  I'm especially skeptical now.  But hey, if elon's numbers are misleading..who's to say UNC and Wake's aren't?  I think I'm going to go with the money.  Elon has professors from some of the top schools in the country. They have offered me way more money, and they seem most willing to aid in the assurance of my success.  I feel like it's crazy to pass this up.  I want to end up working for myself eventually anyway.  I just dont want the debt associated with Wake.  If wake was free..I'd probably go there instead.  Waitlisted at UNC by the way. Elon it is.

How much debt would you graduate with from each of these schools? Are there GPA strings attached to scholarships?

You may want to go solo eventually, but you'll want to find a good job between graduation and going solo that will allow you to pick up the necessary legal skills to run your own shop. Finding a good job will be much easier from established, top-quality schools with many local graduates who will look favorably to your degree.

As others have said, "employed after 9 months" stats are not the be-all and end-all of graduation numbers. What type of job you get matters a lot: better to be clerking or working for a decent firm than stuck doing temporary doc review jobs where you won't gain any useful experience or have the chance to progress.

gmac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 09:21:17 PM »
I just got back from an Elon law visit. I also felt that they would provide a top notch quality education. Every bit as impressive /or more so than some tier 1's I've visited.  Being a newer school they are extremely interested in the success of their students and building a reputation.  I will be graduating from Villanova in May. I am accepted at Elon but have a few more visits to make before I decide. I don't feel like I would be comprising by attending Elon, they have an impressive program! I am waiting to hear on schlorship money. It seems to be against popular opinion but I to0 say "Show me the Money", I know I have what it takes to me successful!and I'd rather not have the debt!!

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 09:13:15 PM »
I just got back from an Elon law visit. I also felt that they would provide a top notch quality education. Every bit as impressive /or more so than some tier 1's I've visited.  Being a newer school they are extremely interested in the success of their students and building a reputation.  I will be graduating from Villanova in May. I am accepted at Elon but have a few more visits to make before I decide. I don't feel like I would be comprising by attending Elon, they have an impressive program! I am waiting to hear on schlorship money. It seems to be against popular opinion but I to0 say "Show me the Money", I know I have what it takes to me successful!and I'd rather not have the debt!!

;D at a 0L. 

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 02:14:11 AM »
Wake or UNC. Why we are even having this discussion is beyond me.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.