Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Which is appropriate and which is too much?

Black blazer, dress shirt and dark jeans
 3 (18.8%)
dress shirt, and jeans
 6 (37.5%)
polo and tan slacks
 7 (43.8%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Proper attire for school visit/meeting with advisor  (Read 4698 times)

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Proper attire for school visit/meeting with advisor
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 03:44:16 PM »

i would err on the side of caution.

what's so hard about wearing a dress shirt and some slacks? throw on a tie for good measure?

i really don't know about some of you folks

What does caution have to do with this? You're already admitted, you're there to see the school.

How do you think law students usually dress for class? Do you think it's a group of 150 people in suits and ties sitting around?
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 06:11:10 PM »
What does caution have to do with this? You're already admitted, you're there to see the school.

How do you think law students usually dress for class? Do you think it's a group of 150 people in suits and ties sitting around?

Agree. Law school is just school. No one dresses up.

For example, today in Con Law, I saw at least two people wearing pajama bottoms to class. And no one else care (obviously).

amassherst

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 11:12:58 AM »

what's so hard about wearing a dress shirt and some slacks? throw on a tie for good measure?

I agree.  I wouldn't necessarily do a tee and jeans for the first meeting with someone during a school visit even if I was already admitted.  But, for me, I feel a bit out of my element in just a tee and jeans.  Polo and dark jeans are more my casual speed.  I've been a professional for about five years and I wear dress shirts and dress pants every day for work.  No tie, except if we're having an event or visitors. 

Last week, I went to do a guided tour at a school I'm waiting to hear from and I took the day off of work but basically wore work clothes: dress pants and nice shoes with French cuff shirt w/ contrast cuff/collar.  I must say that with the cuff links I felt as if I may have looked a bit overdressed.  The contrast collar was not intentional for the tour.  I wanted to wear a blue dress shirt and that was one of the only clean blue shirts I had that didn't need ironing that day.  Too much info.  Anyhow, I was not overdressing because I feel comfortable when I'm well put-together.  I'm a professional and I rarely leave my house without looking like one.  I'd be out of my element wearing a tee and jeans to a scheduled school visit/meeting/appointment so I, personally, would not do that.  If OP would be out of his element wearing dress shoes with button down tucked into dress pants (with socks that match the color of his shirt, of course!  And cuff links that match his watch and belt buckle in metal tone), then he should not do that.  Honestly, no law school administrator is going to have a pleasant meeting with you (because you are engaging, smart and charming, right?) and then reflect: "I liked him, but he should have worn an ascot!"  People don't really work that way.  Wear what you want, within reason.

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 04:07:54 AM »

I agree.  I wouldn't necessarily do a tee and jeans for the first meeting with someone during a school visit even if I was already admitted.  But, for me, I feel a bit out of my element in just a tee and jeans.  Polo and dark jeans are more my casual speed.  I've been a professional for about five years and I wear dress shirts and dress pants every day for work.  No tie, except if we're having an event or visitors.  

Last week, I went to do a guided tour at a school I'm waiting to hear from and I took the day off of work but basically wore work clothes: dress pants and nice shoes with French cuff shirt w/ contrast cuff/collar.  I must say that with the cuff links I felt as if I may have looked a bit overdressed.  The contrast collar was not intentional for the tour.  I wanted to wear a blue dress shirt and that was one of the only clean blue shirts I had that didn't need ironing that day.  Too much info.  Anyhow, I was not overdressing because I feel comfortable when I'm well put-together.  I'm a professional and I rarely leave my house without looking like one.  I'd be out of my element wearing a tee and jeans to a scheduled school visit/meeting/appointment so I, personally, would not do that.  If OP would be out of his element wearing dress shoes with button down tucked into dress pants (with socks that match the color of his shirt, of course!  And cuff links that match his watch and belt buckle in metal tone), then he should not do that.  Honestly, no law school administrator is going to have a pleasant meeting with you (because you are engaging, smart and charming, right?) and then reflect: "I liked him, but he should have worn an ascot!"  People don't really work that way.  Wear what you want, within reason.

Excellent.  A few additional points:  While the law school administrator above is unlikely to call in the Guard for the missing ascot, she is likely to think, "What a nice kid.  Too bad about that nose ring."

The world of law, for most practitioners, is going to be fairly formal.  It will certainly be so early in one's career, absent a stint in the Peace Corps.  This leads to the observation: what's the problem?  If one is not willing to dress up just a leetle bit, why are you in law school?

[The irony here is that I've chosen jobs based in part on a more relaxed attire--I spent two years assisting in the establishment of a new court in Micronesia, where "formal" meant wearing socks--so I well understand the casual impetus.  Nonetheless there's a second point:  Before you know it, you'll be immersed in the world of interviews, starched collars, last-minute wardrobe malfunctions, you name it.  The less comfortable you are in that formal skin, the higher the burden you're setting for yourself.  If you're not as comfortable in formal wear as amassherst is, you need to be.]

A true professional--like Bond, James Bond--is comfortable anywhere.

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 11:37:47 PM »

For example, today in Con Law, I saw at least two people wearing pajama bottoms to class. And no one else care (obviously).

Yeah, it gets worse for every year you're in there, by 3L half the class looks like hobos. To be honest, I wouldn't mind if people managed to do basic grooming and hygiene and put on clothes that at least look adult, but each to their own I guess.
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 11:49:52 PM »
baseball caps and all, even on the ones wearing the 3piece suits on day one. I think they just realised they're students and nothing more, so gives a flaming fuckk if its not an interview or internship?

Yeah, it gets worse for every year you're in there, by 3L half the class looks like hobos. To be honest, I wouldn't mind if people managed to do basic grooming and hygiene and put on clothes that at least look adult, but each to their own I guess.

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 11:54:49 PM »
baseball caps and all, even on the ones wearing the 3piece suits on day one. I think they just realised they're students and nothing more, so gives a flaming fuckk if its not an interview or internship?

You're really not just a student though, but by all means, I don't really care what other people wear. But, at least at my school, we have people from law firms, judges and whatnot coming into the school frequently, I'd rather not end up face to face with a Cravath partner wearing a "I'm with stupid!" t-shirt and a 5 day beard. If other people don't care, fine. All the better for me, I guess.

I will tell you this much though, I've talked to enough lawyers both relating to OCI and "other engagements" at the law school that leave with the "Was s/he really wearing THAT?!?" after talking to students. That's sure as hell not going to do you any favors.
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2010, 12:12:54 AM »
I'm not saying to wear a Borat thong, but unless your looking to be "discovered" while in class, "and then our eyes met across the isle, and I knew he'd be my boss forever...."(probally happens but not every day)  Then blending in is ok,
"if we're all wrong we're all right". That being said, if you insist on sticking out, then yeah a positive sticking out is better vs a Merilin Manson(dont care if I spelled the homo's fagot name wrong) and a piece of resin still stuck to your upper lip.

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2010, 12:20:55 AM »
Yeah, but blending in is, at least at my place, being somewhat decently dressed. We have a few people who dress like slobs, but most people look, hmm, well, respectable. Khakis and a sweater or something like that. We have one idiot who shaves once a week and always wears a sweat suit, and he smells. That's not going to do him any favors. Then again, I really can't stand the guy, he's both a feminine hygiene product and a gunner so yeah.

Anyway, I think we generally agree :p
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.