Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Which is appropriate and which is too much?

Black blazer, dress shirt and dark jeans
 3 (18.8%)
dress shirt, and jeans
 6 (37.5%)
polo and tan slacks
 7 (43.8%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Proper attire for school visit/meeting with advisor  (Read 4800 times)

sellingevo4law

• View Profile
Proper attire for school visit/meeting with advisor
« on: March 15, 2010, 03:38:43 PM »
I am already admitted to the school. I don't want to look like I am brown nosing, but I do not want to come off disrespectful. I know I am over-thinking this, but humor me.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Proper attire for school visit/meeting with advisor
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 04:37:56 PM »
Neither:

T-shirt and jeans.
Really, it's not a big deal at all.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

sellingevo4law

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 04:41:21 PM »
Neither:

T-shirt and jeans.
Really, it's not a big deal at all.

Beautiful!

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 04:55:56 PM »
I am already admitted to the school. I don't want to look like I am brown nosing, but I do not want to come off disrespectful. I know I am over-thinking this, but humor me.

You're not overthinking this, as these will become increasingly important concerns.  

Miguel is quite right that it's not a big deal here.  However . . . I would tend to err on the side of a bit more formality on a first meeting--any first meeting.  Nothing over the top in this case, but you might take it up a notch.  Business casual is usually the safer bet.

(To any who think I'm wildly stodgy . . . if only you knew . . . think about this in a larger context.  Chances are it will make absolutely no difference.  It will certainly not make a difference as to admission, or grades, or whether the soda dispenser works properly.  It might, however, make a difference when asking for a recommendation, or when your advisor . . . who happens to chair the committee for scholarships, or who is of counsel at the firm you REALLY want to get into, or . . . .   See?  It's a better bet to borrow a phrase from the military:  "There's never a time you're not being observed.")

sellingevo4law

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 05:24:57 PM »

You're not overthinking this, as these will become increasingly important concerns.  

Miguel is quite right that it's not a big deal here.  However . . . I would tend to err on the side of a bit more formality on a first meeting--any first meeting.  Nothing over the top in this case, but you might take it up a notch.  Business casual is usually the safer bet.

So then would jeans suffice for business casual in this setting?

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 05:47:43 PM »

So then would jeans suffice for business casual in this setting?

Depends on the part of the country, but not usually.  

Even in Austin, where jeans are almost required wearing, in law they're reserved for clients.   = :  )

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 12:20:38 PM »
Just wear jeans and a t-shirt. If you want to be a bit classier, wear a polo. This is just a school, not a job interview.

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 08:48:13 PM »
As long as your male private part is inside your pants, you're good. Sometimes you're good even if it isn't.
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

petermharrington

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 01:37:56 AM »

i would err on the side of caution.

what's so hard about wearing a dress shirt and some slacks? throw on a tie for good measure?

i really don't know about some of you folks

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 02:11:06 AM »
i would err on the side of caution.

what's so hard about wearing a dress shirt and some slacks? throw on a tie for good measure?

i really don't know about some of you folks

Nothing is so hard about it. It's just overdressing.