Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: terrible LSAT history.......  (Read 2808 times)

catimini

• View Profile
terrible LSAT history.......
« on: March 15, 2010, 06:20:57 AM »
I have a 163, 1 cancelled, 1 absent, and a 174.
Do you guys think I have a shot at a top 10 law school?

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: terrible LSAT history.......
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 04:38:07 PM »

What will you be stating as your reasons for the lower score, cancellation, and absent?  (With your high score of 174, these reasons will be important, if not crucial.)

catimini

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 08:59:43 PM »

What will you be stating as your reasons for the lower score, cancellation, and absent?  (With your high score of 174, these reasons will be important, if not crucial.)

For the absence, I caught the swine flu :( I was put under quarantine(in the hospital) so I couldn't attend the test. When it comes to the 163 and cancellation, I frankly have no good explanation. I always(and by always I mean ALWAYS) used to score between 168 and 172 on preps even before taking the test that got me a 163 so... I guess I was in a really bad shape. I know this may sound weird, but can you recommend any "reason"?

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 09:17:07 PM »
Your reason is whatever reason you didn't do it. If its becuase you just got stoned and didnt feel like it, then there it is I guess. Look, thats what you'd call an "honor code violation" to even ask someone to help you make up a random lie. Be honest, you need to start now not latter.

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »

What will you be stating as your reasons for the lower score, cancellation, and absent?  (With your high score of 174, these reasons will be important, if not crucial.)

For the absence, I caught the swine flu :( I was put under quarantine(in the hospital) so I couldn't attend the test. When it comes to the 163 and cancellation, I frankly have no good explanation. I always(and by always I mean ALWAYS) used to score between 168 and 172 on preps even before taking the test that got me a 163 so... I guess I was in a really bad shape. I know this may sound weird, but can you recommend any "reason"?

catimini -

This is a good chance to reinforce a point for everyone:  The key is not to create a reason, or a whole bunch of reasons, but rather to craft a statement or addendum that logically and credibly explains a certain fact.  Moreover, in this case your challenge is both easier (because "all" you're asking is for the committee to consider your good score rather than, say, an average of your scores) and harder (because there are . . . ouch . . .  four different facts).

The answer might depend on other variables.  Clearly, the swine flu (perhaps with a copy of a hospital bill) will all-but-erase the absent (which is likely not the real concern in any event).  The challenge will be to handle what would otherwise be a pattern; a single incident is explainable, whereas a pattern almost never is.

It might be best to forget the cancel, and instead focus on the lower score and, if this is relevant, the swine flu.  What you're aiming for is a logical, reasonable conclusion that the 174 score is the accurate one.  So, craft and re-craft the statement so that that picture is clear.  Again, this is not manufactured, but rather is stated with extreme care and precision, leading to the result most favorable to your desired outcome (the 174 is correct; the rest are explained away).  Moreover, the cancel and absent are probably less important in any review, depending upon the total picture you and your application present.

In all of your statements you must come across as clear, confident, and not even the tiniest bit whiny.  If there are no legitimate facts to explain away a poor score, state that.  Own it.  And emphasize how seriously you take your future in the law, and the importance you placed on doing better, etc.  That you actual did do this strengthens such an approach.

Further, this is not something to be "done."  Rather, it is a process.  You might ask one or two trusted professors to read what you write, to see if it passes their tests.  If not, ask what it is that is troubling, from an objective perspective.

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 09:52:37 PM »
Your reason is whatever reason you didn't do it. If its becuase you just got stoned and didnt feel like it, then there it is I guess. Look, thats what you'd call an "honor code violation" to even ask someone to help you make up a random lie. Be honest, you need to start now not later.

Quite right.  = :  )

Even if, however, the majority of your admissions committee was stoned out of their minds during their undergraduate years (not an unlikely possibility), it is equally likely that they look back on their years with false or painful memories.  It's just as likely that they did not in fact inhale, and will look askance at any such justification, even and perhaps especially if the truth.  

So, if any chemicals not properly prescribed were involved, do be exceedingly careful.  (Too, this will be part of the character and fitness process, so, as : )- states it's better to fess up--if fessing up is called for--than to attempt to lie, or even to think about attempting to lie.)

catimini

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 10:19:55 PM »
Thank you guys! I wasn't really asking for a random excuse, I simply wanted advice on how to make my history look less negative. Because I myself cannot understand the fluctuation... Your advice on emphasizing the higher score, forgetting about the cancellation while telling the fact as it is really helped me!

LawyerMD

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 11:57:18 PM »
I dont really see how this is a "terrible" LSAT history. So you were absent once, no big deal, especially with the new LSAT rules, and cancelled once. I totally agree that you do not need to explain these two because then there may be a lot of explaining to do which may sound excessive when you combine the swine flew reason, with a cancellation reason, with why you scored lower reason. A 174 is an awesome final score and I think the only thing you have to explain at this point is why this is a more accurate reflection than the 163. Are you applying for 2010?

Good luck.

catimini

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 12:10:57 AM »
I dont really see how this is a "terrible" LSAT history. So you were absent once, no big deal, especially with the new LSAT rules, and cancelled once. I totally agree that you do not need to explain these two because then there may be a lot of explaining to do which may sound excessive when you combine the swine flew reason, with a cancellation reason, with why you scored lower reason. A 174 is an awesome final score and I think the only thing you have to explain at this point is why this is a more accurate reflection than the 163. Are you applying for 2010?

Good luck.

Yes and no, doctor! ;) I'm applying this fall(for 2011). But, I already applied last fall with the 163+cancellation. It's this February that I got a 174. I have been accepted to Fordham, which is also a decent school, and I almost enrolled.. but I took one more chance, took the February LSAT and here I am! Thanks for your encouragement. Good luck to you too!

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 01:08:35 AM »
Lol at that as a "Terrible history"

Frankly, I don't think you even need to explain the difference. Obviously, something went differently.
Assuming your GPA is in line with that score, you are virtually guaranteed admission to a T10 school.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?