Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What is the most sought after law specialty?  (Read 1412 times)

charlow

• View Profile
    • Email
What is the most sought after law specialty?
« on: March 13, 2010, 09:38:37 AM »
I am starting law school in the fall and have a pretty good idea of how I want to use my law degree in the future.  I am however curious about which area of law would, I hate to say guarantee, generate the most interest from “Big Firm” employers.  What is hot and what is not? 

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What is the most sought after law specialty?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 04:08:19 PM »
Honestly common sense will guide you for the school aspect Harvard, Yale, Stanford will probably get you big law, but nothing is guaranteed . Outside of those 3 the top 20 or so  law schools, will give you a  shot at Big Law, but once you get outside of that the difference between 45th and 61st won't make that big a difference and odds are if you go a school with a ranking like that you won't do big law right after graduation, obviously if you prove yourself out there then in a few years you CAN do it, but odds will be against you. Realistically, if Big Law is your only goal I would say the odds of getting it are not all that great right now no matter what you do.  You can certainly get a job as an attorney, but it seems like Big Law is not really on the rise at the moment. I am only a first year law student and I am sure there are more knowledgeable people out there than me, but that is just my opinion.     

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What is the most sought after law specialty?
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 05:28:58 AM »
I am starting law school in the fall and have a pretty good idea of how I want to use my law degree in the future.  I am however curious about which area of law would, I hate to say guarantee, generate the most interest from “Big Firm” employers.  What is hot and what is not? 

An excellent question, with what might seem an odd answer:  most firms could not care less.

First, a firm assumes that anyone it hires is very, very smart, but, essentially, a blank slate. 

Second, unless the firm specializes (in which case it is a boutique), it will place its associates where the fit is best, and where the need is immediate.  So, unless one has a specific interest, chances are the eventual practice will be nothing like imagined in law school.

Third, many lawyers fall into a practice . . . and quite a few fall into one they never would have guessed.

Finally, it is very, very tricky to choose the "hot" area, because hot areas change by the year and sometimes month, much less by the three year marker.  It's much, much more important to think about what you like, and shoot for that.  This is not necessarily a specific area, but might instead be a general approach to law, such as being a bookworm, Type A overachiever, life of the party, etc.

So, while it's fine to keep a clear interest in mind, do be open to a variety of practice possibilities.

Thane.