Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Wait a year in hopes of getting into a higher ranked school?  (Read 742 times)

Kire

• View Profile
Wait a year in hopes of getting into a higher ranked school?
« on: March 13, 2010, 12:14:58 AM »
Would a year make a difference in getting into a better law school?  I'm ready to graduate and go straight into law school (155/3.4).  Most of my Accepts were from my Tier 3 schools (no surprise), and a couple Tier 2s; few pending l;ow Tier 1's. 

Think I should work on improving my LSAT and just wait another year to hopefully get into better schools?  I took the test twice and only improved a few points, but admit I didn't study or practice much for it.  Huge mistake, I know, and am paying for it now - but need your advice:  wait a year for law school and try to improve my LSAT or accept my score as is and accept what I have and attend Fall 2010 with the lower ranked schools?

It tears me up thinking I'll have all this debt from a Tier 3 yet I definetely don't want to wait a year if there is a possibility I'll be in the same situation!  <I can take harsh criticism and appreciate any straight forward opinion you have - even gentle words>

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
Re: Wait a year in hopes of getting into a higher ranked school?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 01:32:32 AM »
If you think you would have a legitimate shot at raising the LSAT by 5+ points through intensive study, I would go for the study.

Even if you end up attending the same school (unlikely), you'd save a ton by getting scholarships/etc. Going to law school a year later might suck a bit, but it's better than entering the job world with 50k more debt.

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Wait a year in hopes of getting into a higher ranked school?
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 12:22:37 AM »
Would a year make a difference in getting into a better law school?  I'm ready to graduate and go straight into law school (155/3.4).  Most of my Accepts were from my Tier 3 schools (no surprise), and a couple Tier 2s; few pending l;ow Tier 1's. 

Think I should work on improving my LSAT and just wait another year to hopefully get into better schools?  I took the test twice and only improved a few points, but admit I didn't study or practice much for it.  Huge mistake, I know, and am paying for it now - but need your advice:  wait a year for law school and try to improve my LSAT or accept my score as is and accept what I have and attend Fall 2010 with the lower ranked schools?

It tears me up thinking I'll have all this debt from a Tier 3 yet I definetely don't want to wait a year if there is a possibility I'll be in the same situation!  <I can take harsh criticism and appreciate any straight forward opinion you have - even gentle words>

Nerfco is quite right.  Given that you didn't study much for the LSAT, that's where your game is.  Putting the kind of effort into that that you'll need to in law school itself will give you huge rewards.  Also, while it might seem a big disappointment in waiting for a year, this has several advantages.  First, you'll have the benefit of the better score.  Second, you'll have the benefit of additional savings, experience, recommendations, etc.  Third, if you can find a job (in any capacity) at a firm or other law office, you'll get an inside peek at the world you're about to enter.  Finally, that year will past faster than you can believe.  If you're still interested after that time, that's a good sign that it's for you.

To all, there is simply no taking the LSAT for granted.  You've spent four years in undergrad.  You'll spend thousands of hours studying in law school.  Spend a few hundred hours, intensively, preparing for the LSAT.  It will be the best time you spend.