Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: cooley in the fall  (Read 4963 times)

JDGuy86

• View Profile
cooley in the fall
« on: March 11, 2010, 03:09:57 AM »
I also am awaiting a decision.. since early february when my file was complete. I'm in the range to get a 25% scholarship based on the lsat so hopefully should come soon. I'm also planning on the ann arbor campus.

IAmMultipleBooks

• View Profile
Re: cooley in the fall
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 04:18:39 PM »
I also am awaiting a decision.. since early february when my file was complete. I'm in the range to get a 25% scholarship based on the lsat so hopefully should come soon. I'm also planning on the ann arbor campus.

Cooley is considered a liability on a resume. It is considered to be a joke.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 04:37:53 PM »
Here goes the invalid again talking about how its somehow easier to get a job without a license then with one, blah,blah,blah,

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 01:26:46 AM »
Here goes the invalid again talking about how its somehow easier to get a job without a license then with one, blah,blah,blah,

Having a license obviously only holds value if the job you're applying for requires that license. If you have a law degree, but you're applying for a job as an accountant, that's worth nothing (and it still cost you $150,000 or so to get).
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 11:06:29 AM »
If you want to be an account, of course you can skip lawschool. If you want to the bittch on the bottom of the stinkpile. If you want to be on top, get a JD in taxlaw or even better an LLM in it. That way you can do stuff that the other carboncopy CPA's can't and be worth more than the other faceless clones in the office.

Having a license obviously only holds value if the job you're applying for requires that license. If you have a law degree, but you're applying for a job as an accountant, that's worth nothing (and it still cost you $150,000 or so to get).

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 03:23:16 PM »
You seem to have some unrealistic expectations to the value of just having a law degree. Nobody is going to care about your JD or LLM if you're actually going to be an accountant, it has no effect whether you will be on top or on bottom of the market. It will only be wasted money and time.
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 04:31:41 PM »
Depends on if you're scared of a courtroom or not. If you are a lawyer and a CPA you can help your clients out of a hell of a lot more pickles then just getting them to the halfway point and passing the buck onto someone else. You can charge a fee that reflects that too. If a CPA tries that, they go to prison.

You seem to have some unrealistic expectations to the value of just having a law degree. Nobody is going to care about your JD or LLM if you're actually going to be an accountant, it has no effect whether you will be on top or on bottom of the market. It will only be wasted money and time.

CooleyGrad

• ain't no sleep when you're living the dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 12:16:34 PM »

Mind listing the names of the partners and firms that told you this?  I was concerned that moving back to my home state would be an issue but, generally speaking, no one knows anything about cooley here.  Besides, it has been my experience that firms are more interested the work that you actually do for them.

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 09:48:08 PM »
Depends on if you're scared of a courtroom or not. If you are a lawyer and a CPA you can help your clients out of a hell of a lot more pickles then just getting them to the halfway point and passing the buck onto someone else. You can charge a fee that reflects that too. If a CPA tries that, they go to prison

You're starting to make less and less sense for every post you make.

If you have a law degree, but work as an accountant, you cannot go to court. And why the @#!* would anyone want their accountant to go to court anyway? That makes a grand total of zero sense.

Man, I don't mean to be a buzz kill, but you are valuating a law degree at least 20 times more than it's worth.

Mind listing the names of the partners and firms that told you this?  I was concerned that moving back to my home state would be an issue but, generally speaking, no one knows anything about cooley here.  Besides, it has been my experience that firms are more interested the work that you actually do for them.

Cooley's main claim to fame (or infamy) is the publishing of their own rankings, claiming to be the 12th best law school in the country. In fact, if they had the common sense to not do that *&^%, nobody would really give a *&^%, Cooley would be "just another law school" down the rankings. But because they're trying to, quite literally, deceive people into attending their school, they get a horrible reputation.
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 10:53:31 PM »
just because you can't keep up dosn't make the facts less valid. Like you said "who would want the accountant to go to court?" Answer, no one who dosn't want him in jail for it. That being said, you if you have to go to court you have to pick between yourself or a lawyer, not a CPA,MBA,etc.

Depends on if you're scared of a courtroom or not. If you are a lawyer and a CPA you can help your clients out of a hell of a lot more pickles then just getting them to the halfway point and passing the buck onto someone else. You can charge a fee that reflects that too. If a CPA tries that, they go to prison

You're starting to make less and less sense for every post you make.

If you have a law degree, but work as an accountant, you cannot go to court. And why the @#!* would anyone want their accountant to go to court anyway? That makes a grand total of zero sense.

Man, I don't mean to be a buzz kill, but you are valuating a law degree at least 20 times more than it's worth.

Cooley's main claim to fame (or infamy) is the publishing of their own rankings, claiming to be the 12th best law school in the country. In fact, if they had the common sense to not do that poo, nobody would really give a poo, Cooley would be "just another law school" down the rankings. But because they're trying to, quite literally, deceive people into attending their school, they get a horrible reputation.