Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LOCI! Please comment!  (Read 590 times)

H.H.

• View Profile
    • Email
LOCI! Please comment!
« on: March 10, 2010, 07:41:07 PM »
As I said in http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,4022963.0.html, I bombed the @#!* out of my LSAT, and was wondering if I should try to explain in an addendum, or just withdraw my applications this year.  Somehow, I still made it onto waitlist at UVA, which is my first choice. 
Here's my LOCI:

"Thank you for the great vote of confidence you have shown me by placing me on the waiting list. I freely admit that it is better than I expected when I received my LSAT score. I had been on the verge of withdrawing my application from the 2010 application cycle when I received your very encouraging e-mail.

In regards to this LSAT score, the only explanation I can offer is that due to Snowpocalpyse, my test was moved from a date that I had set aside for the test to a date a few days before a hectic and time-consuming relocation, when I had little free time in advance of the test.

I am currently in La Antigua, Guatemala, where I am setting up a cultural exchange program. Because of this, contacting me by e-mail is the best way to reach me. If needed, I can also be reached by phone at +502"

Thoughts?

alicrimson

• View Profile
Re: LOCI! Please comment!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 03:13:12 PM »
I think its good. It expresses your interest, gives some background on the situation, shows a bit of personality, and would sound pretty genuine to admissions. I say send it. Maybe put some more "thank you for your considerations" in there but....overall, I'd say its good.
Diagnostic Score: 153
Goal: 162
Long way to go....

amassherst

• View Profile
Re: LOCI! Please comment!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 04:06:09 PM »
It is certainly genuine but by admitting that a WL is better than you expected is, in essence, acknowledging your overall weakness as an applicant. If you bombed the LSAT, you should still be confident that your other compelling factors can get you accepted.  Mention that you are thankful that they see you as a worthy candidate (for X and Y hard/soft factors).  Doing this can remind them of the strengths in your application file.  You don't have to do that, though.  As you have it, it's clear and concise.  Your current LOCI should work well for you.  Good luck.