Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HELP get me out of my lease!  (Read 928 times)

lawschoolchick

• View Profile
HELP get me out of my lease!
« on: March 09, 2010, 07:03:16 PM »
I'm moving to a new city but I have a "buy-out" clause on my lease that is pretty expensive.  It's a huge 200+ unit building so just talking to the landlord isn't an option that will work and sublease/assignment is not allowed.  Is there any way I could effectively leave early without having to pay the buy-out fee?  Anyone ever successfully get out of their lease?  Advice?

Thanks!

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: HELP get me out of my lease!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 12:36:03 PM »
Just FYI: We can't give legal advice as law students.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

lyre

• brightly burns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 02:09:00 AM »
Check to see if your university has a student legal services department.  If so, they should be very well-versed in landlord/tenant issues and be able to help you for free or next to nothing.

Sheshe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 08:38:03 PM »
Well let me know how this goes for you. I'm desperately trying to get out of my lease also, but I refuse to pay $2000 to do so.  Legal advice is not necessary, but if anyone can speak on personal experience I'm sure both the OP and myself would greatly appreciate it.
A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.

~Thomas Jefferson~

TheReasonableMan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 09:46:17 PM »
This is more of a practical solution than a "legal" solution.  Landlords are sometimes willing to forgive the early termination fee if you find your own replacement.  It saves them the cost of advertising and having a vacant apartment. See if you can contact your landlord (or someone that works for that person), and ask if they will waive if you find your own replacement. In this economy, most landlords would rather have an occupied apartment than chase a former tenant around looking to collect termination fees. 

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 01:01:14 AM »
A lot of landlords will take you to court, but here is some first hand experience from someone who got lucky. I had leases where I just and left and the landlord didnt feel it worth his/her time and money to sue me over it. Thats not always the case, but it often is too.

If you have to pick between moving to lawschool or staying in your apt, I'd go to lawschool. Just what I would do.

I'm moving to a new city but I have a "buy-out" clause on my lease that is pretty expensive.  It's a huge 200+ unit building so just talking to the landlord isn't an option that will work and sublease/assignment is not allowed.  Is there any way I could effectively leave early without having to pay the buy-out fee?  Anyone ever successfully get out of their lease?  Advice?

Thanks!