Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Rutgers Camden  (Read 567 times)

unknown0

• View Profile
Rutgers Camden
« on: March 09, 2010, 05:42:50 PM »
Does anyone have much info about this school?  Type of law they specialize in?  They have given me a full ride and I am debating whether to go there.  I would have to relocate to go there but the total cost for going there should be about 25k.

What are the actual job prospects for people that go there (not talking about the self reported prospects all school report).  I would prefer to work in north jersey (not NY) but the other school up there would cost me about 50k, which is double that of Camden.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Zurichbr

• View Profile
Re: Rutgers Camden
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 05:57:31 PM »
I am a 2009 Rutgers Camden grad who is currently clerking for a federal judge.  The job prospects for the top of the class are great, ranging from Biglaw to federal clerkships.  Many average students end up with various state court clerkships and at smaller firms. 

Almost everyone I knew was employed at graduation despite the crappy economy, but that is primarily b/c almost 50% of the class ends up clerking.  As you can probably guess, RU-C does much better than RU-N and SHU in Philly.  I also know people who ended up with Biglaw in NY and all of the reputable NJ firms (North and South).  I must emphasize, however, that you have to be in the top of your class to end up at these more reputable firms (but that applies to RU-N and SHU too). 

Thus, I don't think RU-N or SHU would give you any significant advantage over RU-C with regard to North Jersey firms, but they probably do have more connections with NY firms.     

unknown0

• View Profile
Re: Rutgers Camden
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 06:14:22 PM »
Thanks for the info :) Sent you a pm.

Yeah I am more interested in working and staying in NJ.  So I figured I would go to the school that lets me come out with the least amount of debt.  I think all three NJ law schools place pretty much the same in firms in NJ.  I had read that Camden does much better at placing its students in clerkships.

What kind of work does one do as clerk?  The only law-related experience I had was a part-time job at a small law firm, doing legal assistant type of stuff.