Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: how US school choices translate in Toronto  (Read 6202 times)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: how US school choices translate in Toronto
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 01:31:53 AM »
Yes they all do have some different aspects, but the core concepts are the same. At any ABA school you learn about Civil Procedure you will learn Pennoyer v. Neff and International Shoe etc. You will learn the elements of negligence, that punitive damages don't exist in contracts, blah blah blah. Of course every school will differ slightly and I know in my experience this far we are a lot more concerned with the nuances of California Law than South Dakota law. I imagine at South Dakota they are more concerned with the nuances of South Dakota Law. So yes they are somewhat different, but any ABA school will give you the basic tools to succeed as a lawyer. Some schools may train you better in certain aspects and have a good IP law professor and maybe your a certain school has an in-house IP Law Clinic and other schools might not have it. If IP law is what you want to do then go to the school that has special IP programs and don't concern yourself with U.S. News rankings.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 05:40:42 AM »
Yes they all do have some different aspects, but the core concepts are the same. At any ABA school you learn about Civil Procedure you will learn Pennoyer v. Neff and International Shoe etc. You will learn the elements of negligence, that punitive damages don't exist in contracts, blah blah blah. Of course every school will differ slightly and I know in my experience this far we are a lot more concerned with the nuances of California Law than South Dakota law. I imagine at South Dakota they are more concerned with the nuances of South Dakota Law. So yes they are somewhat different, but any ABA school will give you the basic tools to succeed as a lawyer. Some schools may train you better in certain aspects and have a good IP law professor and maybe your a certain school has an in-house IP Law Clinic and other schools might not have it. If IP law is what you want to do then go to the school that has special IP programs and don't concern yourself with U.S. News rankings.

You seem to be under the impression that law school is about memorizing what the law is.

To the OP: my apologies for having this argument in your thread.  Sorry I can't do more in terms of answering your specific question.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

fakedyfake

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 09:06:25 AM »
Yes 1 + 1 in some completely abstract useless theoretical way can come out differently, but who the hell cares. 

How's that password protected account working out for ya?  How about the Internet in general?

Brought to you by the completely useless fact that 1+1 doesn't always equal 2.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 09:53:13 AM »
Yes 1 + 1 in some completely abstract useless theoretical way can come out differently, but who the hell cares. 

How's that password protected account working out for ya?  How about the Internet in general?

Wait, are we just talking about binary?  Because I was kind of hoping there was some other way that 1+1 did not equal 2.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 12:00:56 PM »
you damn upperT schools and your "philosophy"... :P

"How many times does one go into zero....." "....as many times as it can before it needs a snack and a nap.... ::) "

Wait, are we just talking about binary?  Because I was kind of hoping there was some other way that 1+1 did not equal 2.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2010, 12:14:13 PM »
Well if that is used for binary then 1 + 1= not equaling two is not useless. 1 + 1=2 for the majority of purposes is the right answer, so we have started talking about binary on a topic about how US school choices translate in Toronto. The main point I was trying to make was the you can learn the same things at any school and fine a basic fact that you would learn in Compton or the most prestigious school is Hitler lead Germany during WWII. All I was trying to say is that any ABA school will teach essentially the same things, but there will certainly be SOME differences, but at any ABA school you will learn the elements of negligence, personal jurisdiction, subject matter jurisdiction, rules against perpetutities etc I can only speak for the 1L curriculum and I know that my friend at Stanford as 1L had the same textbooks and was learning  the same material. I am sure there are some differences in what we learned, but the core concepts of the law are the same and maybe it will change drastically in the second and third years.

To the original question I imagine Canada has different rules and if you really want to live in Canada you should go to a Canadian law school.  In my opinion if you have a location you know you want to live and work in then you should go to school in that area.  I am sure people have different points of view, but it makes sense to me that if you want to live and work in certain area then you should go to school in that area.