Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Differences between as well as pros and cons of clerkships versus internships?  (Read 3121 times)

M112

• View Profile
What would be the major differences between a clerkship and an internship at a firm?  Meaning, is there any particular route one takes you versus the other or is the clerkship, depending on who you complete it with, provide you a recommendation holding higher clout when searching for a job? 

Also, are there any particular fields of law that are better suited for a clerkship versus a regular internship and vice versa?  Any pertinent information is appreciated.  Thanks.

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
I've only seen law students summering at firms listed as summer law clerks - they get the same pay rate as starting associates.  I've seen highschool and college kids listed as interns - they get paid hourly. My data sample is small though and its possible the only difference is semantic.  Few firms are hiring 1Ls these days - you are probably better off summering with a good judge, DOJ office, or public interest type organization.
HLS 2010

M112

• View Profile
I've only seen law students summering at firms listed as summer law clerks - they get the same pay rate as starting associates.  I've seen highschool and college kids listed as interns - they get paid hourly. My data sample is small though and its possible the only difference is semantic.  Few firms are hiring 1Ls these days - you are probably better off summering with a good judge, DOJ office, or public interest type organization.

Thank you for the response, very much appreciated.  SO as I understand it, a summer clerkship is what I would be doing as a 1L and would be paid same as a starting associate?  What would a starting associate be receiving in terms of pay?

Also, if I were to do an internship now, meaning before I begin 1L studies, what type of pay would I be looking at and where might I pursue those types of opportunities e.g. specific database, contacting local lawyers, etc?

You also mentioned that most firms are not hiring 1Ls these days so it might be in my best interest to work with a good judge, a DOJ, or public interest group, would all of the aforementioned be considered a summer clerkship or something else?

And finally, again speaking to the point about most law firms not hiring 1Ls, can I correctly assume from that that paid clerkships would become more readily available in my 2L and 3L years?

Your response is much appreciated.  Thanks again.