Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How to successfuly plan to transfer before even beginning 1L studies?  (Read 8277 times)

cooleylawstudent

The tests struck me as simular. Take them both and compare.

What does the asvab have to do with law school?  He can raise it, but is that relevant?

Tsmdiver

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: How to successfuly plan to transfer before even beginning 1L studies?
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2010, 05:36:43 PM »
The best way to successfully plan to transfer to another law school after your first year: do not "plan" anything. Believe me, whether you are at a T4 or a T1, one thing is certain, you will have A LOT of work to do. Transferring up a notch or two will hinge mainly on your ranking and first year grades. So, it makes sense to focus all of your energy on preparing for 1L classes and studying, not transferring. Further, your file will likely not be considered "complete" until the rankings have been released, which usually takes a month or so after your finals. The point: worry about your transfer apps after you take your finals.

Also, keep in mind that you should devote quality time to preparing your applications. Research the schools. Customize your personal/diversity statements to fit neatly with each school that will receive an application from you. Personalize yourself!

Last but not least, keep your head held high. There are many students, plenty to be found on this forum, who are quick to bash a particular school or a particular type of school. Remember, if you really want to transfer- then make it happen. 

This advice is coming from a T4 to T1 transfer student.
Juris Doctor Candidate 2012
Florida State University College of Law

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2010, 09:31:08 PM »
join a bookclub and imagine taking one test a semester per class. That is what it will be like. The rest is just hot air that people puff out to pretend their lives are harder and more important than in reality. Its just one damn book club, thats it. Honest to God, thats all.

M112

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2010, 12:09:01 PM »
The best way to successfully plan to transfer to another law school after your first year: do not "plan" anything. Believe me, whether you are at a T4 or a T1, one thing is certain, you will have A LOT of work to do. Transferring up a notch or two will hinge mainly on your ranking and first year grades. So, it makes sense to focus all of your energy on preparing for 1L classes and studying, not transferring. Further, your file will likely not be considered "complete" until the rankings have been released, which usually takes a month or so after your finals. The point: worry about your transfer apps after you take your finals.

Also, keep in mind that you should devote quality time to preparing your applications. Research the schools. Customize your personal/diversity statements to fit neatly with each school that will receive an application from you. Personalize yourself!

Last but not least, keep your head held high. There are many students, plenty to be found on this forum, who are quick to bash a particular school or a particular type of school. Remember, if you really want to transfer- then make it happen. 

This advice is coming from a T4 to T1 transfer student.

Thanks a million to you as well as everyone else that provided the thoughtful responses.  A few questions for you specifically' if possible, would you mind telling me which T4 to which T1 you transferred to (you can PM me that information if your willing to share it with me but not everyone else or not divulge it all if you don't feel comfortable doing so)?  Also, would you mind telling me about where you ended up at the end of the first year in your T4, the whole transfer application process and maybe just a summary of the events leading up to your successful transfer? 

Any insight, hindsight, or general advice that you might pass on to someone else looking to make a similar move outside of what you provided above would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks again.

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2010, 11:56:55 PM »
--don't fall behind on your reading thinking that you can do it later
--if you get confused about anything you're learning, go to the supplements for help, and if that doesn't clear things up, then talk to your prof/TA
--figure out what kind of exam you are up against and how your profs prefer them to be answered--format, do they want case names, etc.
--practice, practice, practice--Q&A, Cali, Law in a Flash, practice essays, etc. (your LS library may have a lot of these supplements, you may want to buy some, and CALI should be provided to you for free online)
--I say make your own outline, but a lot of people don't like to do that. I found that making the outline, revising it, and then creating smaller and smaller versions really helped me to compartmentalize the material and internalize it.
--study groups...I kind of had a study group, but it was more of a group of friends that provided extra support for each other during finals time--lunch or a movie to take our minds off of things, study in the same room and sometimes go over questions or material together, commiserate after a tough final. Some students seemed to really like study groups, or book clubs as Thelo calls them, but I personally didn't like the weekly ones. I found that we ended up talking more than studying.
--at finals time you might want to stay away from the school, except if you're meeting your study group to go over the material (at least 1st semester). The library and study class rooms are often packed with stressed out students who may just stress you out more with their panicking.

(advice comes from a T-4 to T-1 transfer)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2010, 01:44:38 AM »
Just plain don't count on transferring honestly the above post is good advice, but a lot of people do that and don't finish in the top 15%. Bottom line is there a 15% maybe chance you will be able to transfer and spending a year of your life and 30,000 for a %15 chance is not a good idea.

If you really want to be a lawyer then go to law school wherever you can and it will probably work out in some capacity, but if your sole goal is transferring it is probably not going to happen.

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2010, 02:10:25 PM »
Bigs is right that it doesn't work for everyone. I was just trying to respond with things that might improve your chances. I certainly didn't go to law school expecting to transfer. Far from it. After a few weeks into the semester, I was worried that I might fail out. Most people in my section seemed to share the fear that they might fail. It wasn't until my 1st semester grades came out that I really started considering transferring, and even then I worried about the fact that I might not be able to do as well as the first semester because we had some new subjects and because students who didn't do as well the first semester had seriously buckled down and were well prepared. After exams, I again felt like transferring wasn't an option. Then grades came out, and I had done better than I had thought. I guess the moral of the story is that the 1st year of LS is a roller coaster of stress and anxiety and you won't really know if you can transfer until after your 2nd semester grades come out and 1 of your transfer schools says yes. However, if you do well your first semester and you want to transfer, you do need to ask for recommendations from your profs before exam time. (The other lesson of the story is that I'm stressed out way too much. lol. Hopefully, you won't get stressed out as easily, but trying to be at the top can be pretty stressful.) Law school is an adventure. Good luck!

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2010, 02:12:27 PM »
transfering is for people who can't stand the wedgies at their school.

"but it'll somehow make me "better" then them.......important somehow......" :'(

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2010, 03:36:09 PM »
Cicero offers excellent advice, whether or not one hopes to transfer. 

A minor point, not at all against his, is that "reading" isn't the same as "case briefing," which is how many attempt to study.  Your secondary sources (supplements) should come BEFORE your cases.  And it is IMPERATIVE to keep up.  It's not volume of studying.  It's dedication to learning--and the learning must happen BEFORE class.

Thane.

--don't fall behind on your reading thinking that you can do it later
--if you get confused about anything you're learning, go to the supplements for help, and if that doesn't clear things up, then talk to your prof/TA
--figure out what kind of exam you are up against and how your profs prefer them to be answered--format, do they want case names, etc.
--practice, practice, practice--Q&A, Cali, Law in a Flash, practice essays, etc. (your LS library may have a lot of these supplements, you may want to buy some, and CALI should be provided to you for free online)
--I say make your own outline, but a lot of people don't like to do that. I found that making the outline, revising it, and then creating smaller and smaller versions really helped me to compartmentalize the material and internalize it.
--study groups...I kind of had a study group, but it was more of a group of friends that provided extra support for each other during finals time--lunch or a movie to take our minds off of things, study in the same room and sometimes go over questions or material together, commiserate after a tough final. Some students seemed to really like study groups, or book clubs as Thelo calls them, but I personally didn't like the weekly ones. I found that we ended up talking more than studying.
--at finals time you might want to stay away from the school, except if you're meeting your study group to go over the material (at least 1st semester). The library and study class rooms are often packed with stressed out students who may just stress you out more with their panicking.

(advice comes from a T-4 to T-1 transfer)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2010, 03:37:52 PM »
I feel that is an accurate statement of about everybody in law school particularly your first year. I thought I might fail out as well and I was just hoping to do well enough to pass the first year and I ended up doing well I even got two best essays so my answers will live on even if I fail the bar and never get a job. Even on those two I thought I might have failed them and I ended up having the best answer law school is crazy because you have no idea how it will turn out.  To further the point the one test I thought I really did nail first semester I ended up getting a C+.  Then I got best essay in contracts & property and I really was not sure I had any idea what going on on those two. So law school is crazy.

I feel that way at my internship now I have no idea what I am doing half the time, but for the most part they said I have done good work up to this point. The law is stressful and there are really no right answers, which is what is really scary about it. 

Bigs is right that it doesn't work for everyone. I was just trying to respond with things that might improve your chances. I certainly didn't go to law school expecting to transfer. Far from it. After a few weeks into the semester, I was worried that I might fail out. Most people in my section seemed to share the fear that they might fail. It wasn't until my 1st semester grades came out that I really started considering transferring, and even then I worried about the fact that I might not be able to do as well as the first semester because we had some new subjects and because students who didn't do as well the first semester had seriously buckled down and were well prepared. After exams, I again felt like transferring wasn't an option. Then grades came out, and I had done better than I had thought. I guess the moral of the story is that the 1st year of LS is a roller coaster of stress and anxiety and you won't really know if you can transfer until after your 2nd semester grades come out and 1 of your transfer schools says yes. However, if you do well your first semester and you want to transfer, you do need to ask for recommendations from your profs before exam time. (The other lesson of the story is that I'm stressed out way too much. lol. Hopefully, you won't get stressed out as easily, but trying to be at the top can be pretty stressful.) Law school is an adventure. Good luck!