Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How to successfuly plan to transfer before even beginning 1L studies?  (Read 8126 times)

Aluhks

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: How to successfuly plan to transfer before even beginning 1L studies?
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 06:31:54 PM »
I don't have a list. I am a transfer myself, from one school in the northeast to another. Both the school I ended up transferring to and my other top choice for transferring had some variation available. Where I am now, the Law Review held 1 space for transfers (other journals held  more) and there was a fall transfer-only competition. I ended up on a secondary journal. At my other top choice for transferring, all journals EXCEPT the law review were open to transfers via a similar competition.

Also, some schools allow potential transfers who have not yet been admitted to compete in their spring/summer writing competitions. Here too I don't have a list, although I know Columbia and Harvard both do this for their law review

Check out the transferapps group on yahoo. Also dig around on the websites of any school you're interested in.

coto29

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 12:06:12 PM »
Hmm. Interesting.  I didn't know that.  Nice.  Sadly for me, all the schools I am looking at do not allow transfers to do Law Review because the GPA doesn't go with the student.  I figured its the price we have to pay and in reality its not that high of a price, not in the long run.  But it still is a nice option to have available.  Good Luck

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 11:15:54 PM »
Additionally, being that I am currently going to school at a T4, what is my ceiling as far as transfer is concerned assuming that my class standing at the end of my first year falls anywhere from top five (5) overall on the high end, to barely top 10% in my class on the low end?  Is top 10 a realistic possibility, or is top 30, or top 50 more likely?  Moreover, is their a general rule regarding transfers and financial aid packages i.e. would I possibly be eligible for any scholarships or would that have to wait at a minimum until I have completed one year at my new school?

Also, for some schools I took a look at, their transfer policy states that you must receive a letter of good standing from the dean of the college you want to transfer out from.  Now, would my approaching a dean about a transfer lead to the possible revocation of my scholarship ?  Any pertinent information is greatly appreciated.  

Good questions, and some good responses.  As to realistic chances of getting great grades, those are determined by the work you put in and by how smart you study.  (Note: not just how much, but also how well your habits reinforce and understanding of the law and of how to apply that understanding to a new, complex fact pattern--the exam.)  If you seek to transfer, you must seek to accomplish excellent grades. 

As to where those grades might put you, rather than speculate there is a chart in the book mentioned, Art of the Law School Transfer, that might be helpful.

As to scholarships, actually the opposite is true.  Deans know that they'll lose a few of their very best students.  So, they might, just might be willing to entice a few to stay.  It's true that you're unlikely to get scholarships to a new law school, but you are likely to get possibilities from your current school, if you do exceptionally well. 

That written, there is a timeline to this process.  So, for now, the key is to read the threads on "preparing for law school" and "thinking like a lawyer," and plan on doing extremely well.  As much as many might lead you to believe this is luck, that is just a minor part of the overall picture.

At this point I would say best of luck, but how about . . . go get 'em!   = :  )

lawyergirl25

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 11:49:59 PM »
Many schools do allow transfers the opportunity to join law review.

eman154

• View Profile

You need to work your f-ing ass off. I did this. I took the money from a TTT. Worked my ass off dominated. Transfered to CCN. Now soon to begin a SA that 95% of law school students (including me if I had stayed) had no shot at getting based on school alone.

The key to succesfully implementing this strategy is work. You will be amazed at how many students at the lower tiered schools think law school is like undergrad (general consensus among non t30 transfers). Do all the reading, go to every class, do not bring a computer, make your own outline (there is no secret formula whatever works for you). You will not have any 1L friends but @#!* it, you want to transfer anyway. It's like naming lobsters before you eat them, don't do it. Pick out 5-10 other classmates who are smart who you view as your competition and try to do better than them. Going out on friday/saturday is fine, week is not o.k. but many of your classmates will be going out and no doing the necessary work. I assure you of this.

makaf2000

• View Profile
Check with each school you think to transfer to. Also, make up a list of questions you have (most important ones) and email admissions of the schools where you want to transfer too. Also, totally agree with other posters - it is VERY unlikelly to get into top 10% in law school. I was in top 5% in some of my undegrad classes, and totally blew first semester at law school. While my second semester grades are better now - it will not help too much this year anyway because of plain statistics. Law school exams are a a gamble/lottery. All depends on each professor, your typing speed, how fast you think. I am very, very strong at analysis, nevertheless I type slow and it affected my grades as well. Plus, there are tricks that wroked for me this year, and they have nothing to do with how intelligent you are, more with how smart you are. Go to school which you will be happy to graduate from. If not, get as much internship/extenrship experience as possible, experience matters almost as much as grades in the long run.

cooleylawstudent

If you haven't begun 1L studies and are planning a transfer you are in for a world or rude awakening. If you want to get into a better school then take the asvab again, raise your GPA and get in. If you can't then despite your best efforts your odds are that you will end up in the median range at lawschool. I know this might amaze you but everyone else there is smart and dedicated too.

Might you transfer, sure. Might you be the #1 student, mabey. Just dont work yourself up too much if you never transfer out and end up on academic probation for at least a semester. Life happens, get ready for it now.

coto29

asvab?

cooleylawstudent

coto29

What does the asvab have to do with law school?  He can raise it, but is that relevant?