Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What should I be doing to prepare for law school?  (Read 3544 times)

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What should I be doing to prepare for law school?
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 04:11:36 PM »
Yes, CALI is awesome (except for studying Civ Pro).

I was thinking about another thing you can do to prepare for LS. You could watch Law School Musical on youtube (just a couple minutes long).
www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8ABhatAfsA

It won't mean that much to you until you've finished your 1st semester, and a lot of people say 1st year. It is kind of a downer's look at LS, but it is more and more hilarious the more you can relate to it. There are days in LS that everyone feels like the guy in the video.

(There are a lot of other funny LS videos on youtube you can look at when you need a study break--Boalt Torts shuffle, Barbri Girl, etc.)

There are many good sources out there, and now especially it's easy and smart to at least scan all (or nearly all) of them.  The real challege is that, at some point, you will need to apply very specific rules to a very specific and new fact pattern, your exam.

So, in surveying the many sources, look not to the quantity of what you're doing--trying to do too much is just as bad as not trying to do enough--and focus on the quality of what you're seeing.  If the source is helping you to understand a legal concept, that's a keeper.  If it's confusing, or just not helping, then STOP!  (This is one reason why conventional case briefing is such a bad way to start in law school.)

Okay, enough outta' me!

T.

barond

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2010, 10:08:32 PM »
Well, my legal writing and analysis professor recommended 'Legal Writing in Plain English".... that should help you out regarding the use of the word rudimentary.

georgiadawg1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2010, 11:07:41 PM »
Preparing for law school:

1. Think of any fun stuff that you like to do and have the financial means to do (trips, sporting events, getting drunk, etc.)
2. Do as much of that stuff as you can afford to do as much as possible
3. Spend as much time as you can with friends and family
4. Maybe thumb through a few books about law school (I like Getting to Maybe, absolutely skip 1L it's not worth it). If you don't it's not a big deal.
5. Show up the first day, resist the urge to freak out like everyone else is doing, and work your butt off for the next year.

People will try to tell you differently, but there are two types of people who do well in law school 1) people who are naturally good at it, they just "get it" 2) people who work their butts off non-stop. Quality of life decisions start in law school. If you're good at law school then you don't have much to worry about. If you're not, then you'll have to decide how much quality of life you're willing to trade in exchange for percentile points in the grade rankings. The good news is that it's still more than possible to graduate in the middle 50% of your class (or below) and still get a job. Just be open to the idea that you may end up enjoying an area of law totally different than what you thought you would when you came to law school.