Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: DePaul Vs FSU Vs GSU VS Denver  (Read 689 times)

rwinters

• View Profile
DePaul Vs FSU Vs GSU VS Denver
« on: March 06, 2010, 05:22:13 PM »
I have been accepted to all these schools with DePaul and Denver paying 50% tuition and GSU being in state. Does anyone have any information that can help me make my decision. thanks

SickAndTired

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: DePaul Vs FSU Vs GSU VS Denver
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 12:04:33 PM »
I think it really comes down to what region you want to stay in.  I am having a similar dilemma between $$ offered and various regions.

1. Can you see yourself happy in those cities/regions long term- 3 years for school and at least 3 years of practice

2. If you don't care about region AT ALL, then go by cost.

3. Go to a school you are positive that you can come out on top of your class unless there is one dream school in that mix.  Graduating the top of your class will mean more than average stats at an average school.  You can make the most of it anywhere you go in your choices.

I've been reading up a lot about DePaul lately because it is a school I am considering also (I LOVE Chicago even though I'm not from there)- spoke to a a few alumni who I know.  It gets a tough deal from people, but I am noticing it will be what you make of it. One of the DePaul alums actually wrote my recommendation there and she went on to have an absolutely top shelf law career.  It is just a school where, given its market, you really need to make sure you come out on the top of your class (like with all places).  That seems to be the key for it.

What kind of law are you looking to practice?

I don't know much about your other schools and can't really say much about them.

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 08:47:35 PM »
3. Go to a school you are positive that you can come out on top of your class unless there is one dream school in that mix.  Graduating the top of your class will mean more than average stats at an average school.  You can make the most of it anywhere you go in your choices.

There is NEVER a guarantee that any student will be top of their class, prior to law school. Everyone that goes to law school thinks they can work harder and smarter than others, and end up top 10%. Only 10% do.

Don't go to a law school expecting to be top of your class. Go there expecting to be median, or so, and work hard and be happy if you do better.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 09:54:25 PM »
I have been accepted to all these schools with DePaul and Denver paying 50% tuition and GSU being in state. Does anyone have any information that can help me make my decision. thanks

If you don't care where you end up after graduation, pick the school with the lowest overall cost.  If you care about location, pick a school that's in that location or very near it. 

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 10:30:44 PM »
If you don't care where you end up after graduation, pick the school with the lowest overall cost.  If you care about location, pick a school that's in that location or very near it. 

/thread.

(These are all good schools, but regional schools. Don't go to Depaul hoping to find a job in Denver, or vice versa.)