Law School Discussion

Santa Clara or USD

Santa Clara or USD
« on: March 04, 2010, 07:13:06 PM »
I've been accepted to both Santa Clara and USD and need to decide sometime this month as the deadline for the deposit is April 1st. I'm very torn and need any insight into these schools that I can get. Some background information that I must consider is that I am from San Francisco and all of my family and my friends from high school all live in the bay area, but I attended undergrad at San Diego State and currently live in San Diego and have a good social network here. I recieved a $14,000 scholarship from Santa Clara and a $22,000 scholarship to USD, but from the research I have done and everything I have heard has been that job placement is much more difficult in San Diego than it is coming out of Santa Clara. The statistics I have seen also show that starting salary is considerably higher coming out of Santa Clara than it is coming out of USD (median starting $114,000 to $88,000). Both are tier 2 schools with USD being ranked a good deal higher at 61 and Santa Clara at 85. Both are also beautiful campuses and cost about the same. I also applied to, but not have yet heard from USF and Loyola, but even if I were to get into those schools which I'm pretty sure I will, Santa Clara and USD are still my top choices. Any personal insight, advice, or information about these schools would be greatly appreciated as I need all the help I can get in deciding. Thanks.

wannaB1L

• Mike Nifong '08
    • View Profile
Re: Santa Clara or USD
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 04:40:47 PM »
USD because it has better weather, lower 1L attrition, better scholarship, and the IP folks at Santa Clara skew their numbers.

nerfco

• U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
Re: Santa Clara or USD
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 08:50:06 PM »
USD because it has better weather, lower 1L attrition, better scholarship, and the IP folks at Santa Clara skew their numbers.

It is hard for a few IP folks to skew numbers much when the quoted statistic is the median. That said, if USD will end up costing ~ 25k less over three years, and if you'd be happy staying in San Diego post-grad, that's hard to turn down.