Law School Discussion

New York Law School Vs. Pace University

New York Law School Vs. Pace University
« on: March 02, 2010, 03:31:20 PM »
Does anyone have any insight or opinions on my choices? The U.S. business journal ranks NYLS much higher than Pace, but I have been told by active attorneys that they are so similar it comes down to region. Only productive and informal opinions/insight are appreciated

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: New York Law School Vs. Pace University
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 11:54:11 AM »
I think they are extremely similar schools. Though I would say that they are two of the worst values in legal education. (Very high tuition without the job prospects to match).

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 04:37:14 PM »
Is your idea of "worst values in legal education" anything rated lower than Georgetown? I am aware that the schools are not T100 and the competition for jobs is high, especially graduating from a 3/4 tier, but to say they are two of the worst is a very exaggerated and false statement.

Thanks for the post.

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 06:30:35 PM »
Saying that competition for jobs is high, at this point in time, is probably the understatement of the century. Competitions for jobs are high at schools like Georgetown; at schools like NYLS and Pae they're virtually non-existent at the moment.

That might change by the time current applicants are graduating of course, but yeah, going to a high-cost-low-rank school isn't a good choice at this time. Go for something a bit more local and/or budget friendly.

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 07:52:21 PM »
Is your idea of "worst values in legal education" anything rated lower than Georgetown? I am aware that the schools are not T100 and the competition for jobs is high, especially graduating from a 3/4 tier, but to say they are two of the worst is a very exaggerated and false statement.

Thanks for the post.

No, not at all. Really and truly, this has nothing to do with elitism or rank bias. There are schools ranked lower than both Pace and NYLS that are much better values. It's that tuition for NYLS and Pace are both really high, and they are both in super-saturated markets.

There really aren't many schools with as deadly of a combination of high living expenses + high tuition + over-saturated home market. IMO, CUNY is a much better value. I believe admissions competitiveness is easier or similar.

bigs5068

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 11:31:23 PM »
CUNY is the way better value it is only 10,000 or so in tuition compared to  NYLS that is around 30k. So CUNY, might be the better value. However, when I worked in New York a lot of the interns and lawyers I worked for went to NYLS, but a lot went to CUNY also and they obviously had less debt with those tuition discrepancies. That was over a year ago so maybe things have changed. NYLS is in a great location to work while your in school though so that is definitely a plus.

I know nothing about Pace.

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 07:46:18 AM »
NYLS that is around 30k.  

Try $44,850. Total cost per year of $67,615 for a whopping $202,845 for the degree. That's not even counting the student loan interest that will accrue while you are in school. It's literally one of the most expensive law schools in the world.

http://www.nyls.edu/prospective_students/tuition_and_financial_aid/

Compare that to under $12,000/yr for CUNY.

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 12:06:41 PM »
yes, CUNY has a very appealing cost, but from what I understood it is the premier public interest law school in the nation. Their mission starts, "Our mission is to graduate outstanding public interest attorneys..." I am not looking into public interest, not that I am above it, I enjoy different areas of law: (ie):Corporate, Intellectual property, Environment, etc. So I wouldn't really be doing myself a favor by enrolling in a school with a foundation on public interests. Would I...? Great! more indecisiveness

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 02:27:37 PM »
yes, CUNY has a very appealing cost, but from what I understood it is the premier public interest law school in the nation. Their mission starts, "Our mission is to graduate outstanding public interest attorneys..." I am not looking into public interest, not that I am above it, I enjoy different areas of law: (ie):Corporate, Intellectual property, Environment, etc. So I wouldn't really be doing myself a favor by enrolling in a school with a foundation on public interests. Would I...? Great! more indecisiveness

While they are public interest oriented, nobody will force you to do public interest if you graduate from CUNY. Specific course offerings are rarely important.

bigs5068

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 01:58:50 AM »
Yea just because something claims to be a public interest school doesn't mean anything. When you graduate and pass the bar you are a lawyer and you can do what you want.  University of Vermont is known for it's environmental law program, but obviously not every Vermont Grad does environmental law, Franklin Pierce is known for IP again not every graduate does IP, the list can go on and on. Realistically if you want to practice in New York CUNY is far and away the best bang for your buck. I wish San Francisco had a school like that, but that is the way it goes.

Honestly, if you are deciding between Pace, NY Law, and CUNY you are realistically probably not working to work Big Law or at least not right out of the gate. It is possible if you kick ass in practice, but do not get caught up in rankings when dealing with schools like this. If you look at the idiotic formula U.S. News uses to distinguish between schools you will realize that nobody is going to care whether you went to the 108, 123, or 141 best school. CUNY will get you a job in New York for the least cost and it is certainly the best value. Good luck to you.