Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Doesn't Anyone Take Pre-Law Prep Courses?  (Read 1344 times)

HeatherTopTen

• View Profile
    • Email
Doesn't Anyone Take Pre-Law Prep Courses?
« on: March 01, 2010, 07:37:55 PM »
 Why do 0Ls not take Pre-Law Prep courses anymore!  Seems like everyone takes a prep course for the SAT and the LSAT.  But hardly anyone takes a prep course to prepare for 1L.  The only reason I ranked so high was because I took a course during the summer before law school.  I'm sure my tutor wouldn't want me to post her phone number, but her email is Sorry, shilling is not permitted on this site- Moderator  I don't know if it's current, but try, she might give you a discount if you ask!  I did one-on-one tutoring with her (I lived in Los Angeles at the time) and I don't understand why everyone doesn't do this!  I was SO far ahead of the other 1Ls, and not because I'm so smart, just because I had already been exposed to all the material before the semester even began!  Now that I'm done with 1L, I can tell the secret...  

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Doesn't Anyone Take Pre-Law Prep Courses?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 04:12:39 PM »

Why do 0Ls not take Pre-Law Prep courses anymore!  Seems like everyone takes a prep course for the SAT and the LSAT.  But hardly

shut up. We can all see past your self advertising. What a stupid female private part.

To further a general interest in controversy, contrarianness, and because : )- and I are building such a strong rapport, this thread brings to mind (yet another) fun aspect of phychology that builds in law school . . .

I do not know HeatherTopTen, or Hillary McDonald, or whoever was behind the message.  Although this is clearly self-promotional (or at least rather self-servingly phrased), this does not make it incorrect.  One tendency among law students especially is to misconstrue "critique" as negative only.  (Truth be told, in many ways commercial advertising is more honest than much of free speech of the political variety.  The key as a thinking person is to challenge the right aspects of either.)  

Just because it's self-serving does not mean that it's wrong.  This is yet another trap in a law exam.

Her underlying message is quite correct (albeit poorly timed for anyone already in law school).  As part of our human nature, it is natural to accept advice that favors a lesser amount of discomfort--such as preparing for law school prior to law school--and of course once in law school, there is a strong and equally self-serving rationale for going along with the herd and then for justifying one's actions (or, more correctly, inaction).

So, for anyone out there not yet in law school, heed the underlying message.  (I'm not recommending a private tutor, as that might not be the optimal approach for the majority of impecunious students, is not strictly necessary, and is certainly not the most cost-effective means.)  It is good to find someone who has actually been to law school, and build a relationship in which the silliness that passes for the first year for most law students is avoided.  If one has money to burn, trust funds that are simply too much trouble to spend, and ample supplies of spendthriftiness, I'll not be one to say this is a bad idea.  Not necessary, but that doesn't make it wrong.

For anyone currently in law school as a 1L, there is a more important truth in the message, however construed, that applies with greater force, and is explored in a thread elsewhere.  There are just over two months to prepare for law exams, which ought to be THE focus as of now.  For a 1L, this isn't about pre-preparing, but about re-focusing in the right direction.  In a few years you'll look back and kick yourself, for a host of reasons.  The challenge now is to make that kicking unnecessary.

Good luck to all.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 03:14:13 PM »
I really don't think there is any pre-law class that would justify the expense. If you are really curious, read over some E&Es.

I removed the email because the post was a shill. If the OP was an established poster, I might be inclined to give them a buy- but one-time posters posting ads are severely frowned upon here.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 05:06:58 PM »
Looks like spam to me - I'd nuke the whole thread.
HLS 2010

charlow

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 09:43:30 AM »
I saw the same post on a different site yesterday.