Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Fustrated, Yet Determined.....170+  (Read 3076 times)

cooleylawstudent

Re: Fustrated, Yet Determined.....170+
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 07:19:33 PM »
Its worth noteing too that with your degree you qualify to take the patent bar and become a patent agent doing almost every thing a patent attorney does even prior to your first day at law school.That could pay bills and look good on a resume. If your goal is property law anyways, then its a good headstart. Lots of people do that and never worry about the JD itself.

Elizabeth999

• View Profile
It is possible...to go up in your score
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 12:23:17 AM »
OK..so a friend of mine started in the low 150s and scored 170 on the day of the exam.  He did loads of full length exams and if he can do it, so can you.  The thing is that you must must must find a strategy and expect to study for a long time to be a success. I think I read you studied for 2 months.  While some can do it in that short time frame, not everyone can.  I think with hard work and good strategy, you can bring your score up.  Good luck and have fun while you are doing this...we might as well have some fun because this test can really take a lot out of you!!!

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 03:25:26 AM »
Its worth noteing too that with your degree you qualify to take the patent bar and become a patent agent doing almost every thing a patent attorney does even prior to your first day at law school.That could pay bills and look good on a resume. If your goal is property law anyways, then its a good headstart. Lots of people do that and never worry about the JD itself.

There's nothing wrong with being a patent agent, don't get me wrong, but you will not be able to do anything nowhere near what a patent attorney does.
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 03:38:08 AM »
True but he could use it to pay for lawschool, and most people(myself included) first assume that any lawyer can be a patent attorney, not true. You have to meet the qualifications to be a patent agent PLUS the JD. Crazy but true. Thats an edge up on other lawyers.

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2010, 05:14:42 AM »
...So, I'm another one of those engineers that wants to be a lawyer, but my brain & the LSAT don't seem to play nice, add that to the fact Iíve been out of school for 5yrs and maybe my aspirations of getting a 170+ on the LSAT and going to a T1 law school may be a lil' lofty  :-\

That said, took the Feb LSAT (my first one) and scored 143! Frankly I wasnít surprised; I scored 143 Ė 148 on my practice tests. I guess Iím just frustrated because Iím not sure what else to do. I prepped hard, studied for 2 months, even took an online powerscore prep test. I'm smart and I know it! I do great on the Logic Games, but on every thing else, Iím daft!

Now, I'm reaching out, big reason I've joined this forum ~ How do I re-approach this? Anyone share a similar experience? How about someone that went from scoring a 140ish to 170? How did you do it?

Well, I suppose it's my job to play the Devil's Advocate, or at least the contrarian.

Don't sell yourself short.  Anyone who's able to achieve a 3.47 GPA in Mechanical Engineering and a 3.76 GPA for an MBA is smart enough to ace an ol' LSAT.  The key is to sychronize your mechanical brain with the logical tests of the LSAT.  

Each person has a different frequency . . . way in which they connect with the LSAT.  It might take an onsite course, and a lot more study, and more time.  (Two months is about the minimum for any serious LSAT study.  For anyone having trouble with the logical patterns, several times that amount is a better target.)  

If the career in law is important to you, and you wish to pursue some combination of law, engineering, and business, the additional weight that a higher LSAT score will afford you will come in handy, indeed.

To paraphrase a certain other former lawyer and law prof, Yes you can.

= :  )

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2010, 02:51:36 PM »
I don't know if it's true he/she can improve that much. Obviously anything is possible, but considering they studied and took the real test and got a 143 I would not bet money that he/she will break 170 anytime soon. Doing well in Mechanical Engineering which is basically all math is no indicator of how your reading comprehension on a time pressure exam like the LSAT will turn out. That being said with all of the OP's other accomplishments they could probably go to any law school and if he/she passed the bar get a more than decent job as an attorney in the technology industry.