Law School Discussion

Michigan FEB 2010 Bar EXAM Essays

Michigan FEB 2010 Bar EXAM Essays
« on: February 24, 2010, 09:49:30 AM »
I am transferring my 153 MBE score to Michigan for this February 2010 exam. I just took the essay portion yesterday and was wondering what I need on the essays to pass. Anyone familiar with the curve/formula?

Re: Michigan FEB 2010 Bar EXAM Essays
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 12:17:25 PM »
I am transferring my 153 MBE score to Michigan for this February 2010 exam. I just took the essay portion yesterday and was wondering what I need on the essays to pass. Anyone familiar with the curve/formula?

Aloha, SuziQ & All -

First, congratulations.  That's quite a process, yes?

Don't worry.  You did great.

For all and at the risk of creating a firestorm, I'd like to offer a glimpse into something a friend did, once upon a time.  I had taken (and passed) the bar the prior year.  Later, I continued to get a lonnnngg series of messages along the above lines, with fantstical caculations of just how low he could score on each section and still pass.  I mostly ignored these, as they seemed quite irrelevant.  Just take the *&%$! bar, was my thought.  Why the story?  Because that was the first of FOUR times he sat for the bar.  (One of those times he was mad . . . mad! . . . at the bar.  No.  The bar exam is not to be railed against.  Nothing in law school, or after, is to be railed against, at least not seriously.  When you're Chief Justice, that's the time to change it.  Until then . . . )  

The answer is not to "min run" it.  (A military term, meaning to do the absolute minimum required in a task.)  With bar exams, as with law exams, there is no such thing as a minimum.  Yes, it's pass/fail.  But as to the individual . . . it's PASS/fail, or pass/FAIL.  

The ONLY way to think of the bar exam is to think of it exactly like your law exams, times fourteen.  You need to ace it.  If so, you'll never need to worry about merely passing.

If it's already done, then there's no point in thinking about it.  Yes, we obsess.  But once it's over, it's over.  Is there anything else you might find to obsess over?  (This no doubt seems more than a little flippant, but, humor aside, this is serious.  If working, THAT'S something to obsess over.  If not, then finding that job is.  Seriously.  It's a much, much better way to spend the weeks after the bar.  This is an important time.  If your efforts and thoughts are not directed positively, ask whether they are helping or hurting.)

For all, don't even THINK about minimums.

And, for good karma, fingers crossed for you.  Don't worry.  You did great.  = :  )

Thane.

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 12:42:50 PM »
What a story. Thanks! . . . I definitely put all my effort into it, but in hindsight keep thinking of things I "missed." I need to stop. I was just trying to allay that self-doubt by reassuring myself that I already had it half "in the bag."

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 01:09:43 PM »
I took the Michigan Essays only yesterday also; I transferred my MBE as well.  

I am quite familiar with the formula.  You need an average of 5.85 on each of the essays to pass the MI bar.  The formula is this:

There are 15 essays, each worth 10 points.

[(4/3)* essay total] + MBE
-------------------------------   =  135

so you'd be at:

[(4/3)X + 153]/2 = 135, your x is 87.75, divide that by 15 and you get 5.85.

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 11:51:26 AM »
First, I'm not sure they will figure in your MBE score with the formula unless you take both portions together.  I believe you might have to pass the essay exam all by itself.  I know Fl requires you pass each portion unless you take them together. You better call the SBM and find out.  They are a fickle bunch.     

Next, even if they let you substitute your MBE score then the following is almost true - [(4/3)(essay score) + 153]/2 = 135, your x is 87.75, divide that by 15 and you get 5.85 (is not-technically correct).  Keep in mind that the bar examiners do not use any decimal points or fractions of a point.  So, your best calculation would be to use the entire score without any decimals.  Let's just say you need a total raw score of 87 or 88.

I took the MI essay exam as well. The point above about Pass/Fail doesn't make any sense to me.  It's either pass/appeal/re-take. I'm back to work at the Firm now - glad I don't have to worry about the job issue.   

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 07:45:07 AM »
From the MI Board of Law Examiners site:

"If an applicant has taken the Multi-state portion of the exam in another state, is there provision for transfer of the score? If the other state accepts transfer of MBE scores written in Michigan, a passing MBE score obtained within three years may transfer from that state. The applicant is still required to sit for the essay portion of the Michigan examination and must achieve a passing score as determined by a combination of the scores of the two portions of the examination. See MCL 600.934(3)."