Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: transferring out of cooley  (Read 1789 times)

Mr. Hart

• View Profile
transferring out of cooley
« on: February 20, 2010, 02:19:03 PM »
I just finished my 1L year at Cooley. My class rank is in the top 10 percent. Do I have any chance of getting into a top 20 school? I welcome all feedback, especially from people who transferred out of Cooley. Thankyou.   

xxspykex

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: transferring out of cooley
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 03:10:01 PM »
t20 if you are incredible lucky and it is not vandy, UT, or UCLA. Probably have a shot at a t25 though (such as UIUC, ND, IU, etc). But in any event you are completely screwed because if you don't transfer it is going to be incredibly difficult to find any paying legal job in this economy (no one is hiring, not even PI), and if you do transfer you will be taking on a LOT of student debt and have no shot at being able to pay it back coming out of a t25 since biglaw isn't really hiring there anymore (top 10% at t25s are struggling to get into biglaw).

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: transferring out of cooley
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 09:12:04 PM »
Really xxspykex nobody is hiring anywhere? Everybody in law school is completely screwed except for Harvard Grads? That is ridiculous! Obviously, Cooley is not Harvard and if you can get into an amazing school then maybe you should transfer, but if you are in the top 10% of any ABA school you should find a decent job.  Granted if you are seeking a BIG LAW job, then you probably should transfer. It just drives crazy when people like xxspykex that say these doomsday things about being absolutely screwed. Congratulations to you on being in the top 6% that is an accomplishment at any ABA school.