Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do not listen to what people say about T-3 and T-4 schools on this site  (Read 8679 times)

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
T3 and T4 does not matter, but T4-T2-T1 does matter. Going to a T1 or T2 would be more beneficial to a person career wise.

HardWorking

• View Profile
I go to a T-25 and when we have visiting professors here they are terrible compared to the quality of education you get from the actual profs. The subject matter may be the same, but that doesn't mean you learn it as well. That's one difference.

Exactly true.  Many Tier 4 schools don't even want to hire other Tier 4 graduates.  You should listen to people on this site about Tier 3 and Tier 4 schools.  Sure, people are having a hard time finding a job with all types of degrees but, there is a big difference between a Doctor who has an M.D. from a lower-ranked medical school and a Lawyer who graduates from a lower-ranked law school.  Doctors have much more stringent admissions policies than Lawyers have when it comes to further education.  Law schools will take people with various degrees whereas medical schools expect you to have a certain amount of math and science courses before even applying.  Let's not pretend that a tier 4 law school is anything like a lower ranked medical school.  Many tier 4 law schools are just paper mills that are out to take your money.  As far as attrition rate, you can find out how many people actually failed out. Don't waste your money.  Go get a graduate degree or a something else.  Stay far away from Tier 4 schools.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
I go to a T-25 and when we have visiting professors here they are terrible compared to the quality of education you get from the actual profs. The subject matter may be the same, but that doesn't mean you learn it as well. That's one difference.

Exactly true.  Many Tier 4 schools don't even want to hire other Tier 4 graduates.  You should listen to people on this site about Tier 3 and Tier 4 schools.  Sure, people are having a hard time finding a job with all types of degrees but, there is a big difference between a Doctor who has an M.D. from a lower-ranked medical school and a Lawyer who graduates from a lower-ranked law school.  Doctors have much more stringent admissions policies than Lawyers have when it comes to further education.  Law schools will take people with various degrees whereas medical schools expect you to have a certain amount of math and science courses before even applying.  Let's not pretend that a tier 4 law school is anything like a lower ranked medical school.  Many tier 4 law schools are just paper mills that are out to take your money.  As far as attrition rate, you can find out how many people actually failed out. Don't waste your money.  Go get a graduate degree or a something else.  Stay far away from Tier 4 schools.

Do you go to law school yet? From what you have written it seems that you have no idea what you are talking about. I know many tier 4 graduates and people from only California Bar Approved schools who are doing quite well for themselves. The reality is at the end of the day law school is mostly what YOU make of it not the name of your school. 

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

Do you go to law school yet? From what you have written it seems that you have no idea what you are talking about. I know many tier 4 graduates and people from only California Bar Approved schools who are doing quite well for themselves. The reality is at the end of the day law school is mostly what YOU make of it not the name of your school.

Actually, it's mostly the name of your school, but what you make of it also counts for something sometimes.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
It is the name of your school for some places I am sure, but in California at least since it is such a massive state if you pass the bar here there are opportunities for you somewhere. 

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile

You know, there is a big difference between what doctors and lawyers do. Of course doctors need a much more specific undergraduate focus before going to med school. I'm not sure what specific focus you believe you need to become a lawyer, and I find your comment about that slightly offensive as someone who doesn't have the so called "traditional background" for becoming a lawyer. My undergraduate degree in anthropology in no way hindered my ability to comprehend the law and to analyze. Furthermore, I did take 1 class during my time as an undergraduate with the so-called traditional background students. They all kept talking about how it was the hardest class and teacher in their degree program, but it was really easy compared to my classes. Based on my experience, the undergraduate degree itself doesn't matter. What matters is the student's ability to understand the law and apply it.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
The undergardaute degree is a prequiste to go to law school if you go to JoeBlow state and score a 180 on the LSAT you will get into a better school than someone who goes to UCLA undergrad and gets a 150 performance matters not the same of your school.

To that point in my study group there are 6 people I went to Chico State, another guy went to some 7th Adventist college in Tennessee, 2 went to Berkley, 2 went to Notre Dame. At the end of the day guess which 2 finished on the Dean's list me and the guy from Tennessee, the two guys from Berkley and Notre Dame did fine and in the middle of the curve. Shockingly they did not write the name of their school on their exam or if they did it give them much again the performance of me and the guy from Tennesee was better than those that went to higher ranked schools.

At my internship I have already gone to numerous court hearings and do you know what law school everybody in the courtroom went to? Can you guess I have no idea, shockingly when getting witness testimony from a  16 year rape victim people don't care what the ranking of the judge's, D.A.'s, or defense attorney law school was. It was real serious matter and the D.A. did not say I went to U.S. News World Report 29th best school and went to a tier 2 school so she was definelty raped. Nope shockingly it did not come up once it is some real serious sh*t. So go to law school if you want to be a lawyer bottom line.

HardWorking

• View Profile

Actually, it's mostly the name of your school, but what you make of it also counts for something sometimes.

You are right about that.  Yes, it matters what you make of law school but, at the end of the day you are lying to yourself if you think for one second that the name of your school doesn't matter.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
You know, there is a big difference between what doctors and lawyers do. Of course doctors need a much more specific undergraduate focus before going to med school. I'm not sure what specific focus you believe you need to become a lawyer, and I find your comment about that slightly offensive as someone who doesn't have the so called "traditional background" for becoming a lawyer. My undergraduate degree in anthropology in no way hindered my ability to comprehend the law and to analyze. Furthermore, I did take 1 class during my time as an undergraduate with the so-called traditional background students. They all kept talking about how it was the hardest class and teacher in their degree program, but it was really easy compared to my classes. Based on my experience, the undergraduate degree itself doesn't matter. What matters is the student's ability to understand the law and apply it.

I don't know that there is a "traditional background" for becoming a lawyer.  And I think the point about doctors is that there's a screening process during undergrad in the form of pre-med requirements.  There's nothing comparable for lawyers.  (This point has nothing to do with whether or not undergraduate education is in any way useful for the practice of law.)
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
For med school and veterinary school you generally have to have a biochem, chem, or biology degree to apply for the program (and I know for vet you generally need more of the biochem type degree). The med people take the MCAT, like we take the LSAT.  It seems like the "traditional background" degree is political science or a more general pre-law designation, such as pre-law/history, which are offered at most schools. Where I go to LS, most of the people seem to have polysci-like degrees.