Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do not listen to what people say about T-3 and T-4 schools on this site  (Read 8658 times)

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Welcome to real life is all I can say. At the end of the day just saying I go to so and so school doesn't matter. You got to put effort in to succeed in life.  Shocking concept for spoiled rich kids I know, but some people actually have to put work in.

I don't think you're allowed to comment on how easy or difficult it is to find full-time legal employment until you've actually found full-time legal employment.  An internship isn't quite the same thing.

Also, most law students at the top schools are not "spoiled rich kids."
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

willametterules

I can name several T4s that have attrition rates in excess of 10% - 25% due to flunk outs.... #1 Cooley.  This isn't a Cooley bash, but the whole attrition rate (flunking out) is primarily night students and those who decided the law isn't for them is admissions rhetoric.  Usually a solid 1/2 or higher of the stated attrition rate are those who don't academically cut it or are close to academic probation and opt out.  T4s aren't a death sentence for the right people, but SEVERAL of the lower ranked schools lose students to academic failure all 3 years of law school... that NEVER happens at higher ranked schools.  Someone mentioned Willamette, if you ever go sub 2.0 in any semester after 1L you are dismissed, doesn't matter what your overall GPA truly is... (a professor there handling transfers warned me away because of this ludicrous policy).

cooleylawstudent

Ever think thats since they just pass you for showing up? For science, the T1's should show up high, and sleep and replace essays with smiley faces and pictures of weewees and see if they still pass.....for science!

I can name several T4s that have attrition rates in excess of 10% - 25% due to flunk outs.... #1 Cooley.  This isn't a Cooley bash, but the whole attrition rate (flunking out) is primarily night students and those who decided the law isn't for them is admissions rhetoric.  Usually a solid 1/2 or higher of the stated attrition rate are those who don't academically cut it or are close to academic probation and opt out.  T4s aren't a death sentence for the right people, but SEVERAL of the lower ranked schools lose students to academic failure all 3 years of law school... that NEVER happens at higher ranked schools.  Someone mentioned Willamette, if you ever go sub 2.0 in any semester after 1L you are dismissed, doesn't matter what your overall GPA truly is... (a professor there handling transfers warned me away because of this ludicrous policy).

cooleylawstudent

why would a school want to flunk out someone with a 3.5 for a bad term? How does that make them money?

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
I know an internship is not the same thing and I never once said a T-4 is the same thing as a top tier school. Then to the point about Tier 1's never flunking people out that is not good. Tier 4's are honest and do not pass someone that can't pass the bar. They won't take your money for another two years if you can't muster a 2.0 in your first year.  I know two people from Hastings that were at the bottom of their class for all 3 years and neither of them passed the bar. So they were just ripped off a degree from a good school without passing the bar really doesn't mean much. 

In regards to the attrition the reason it is so high is as a result of transfers and almost all tier 4's have part time programs, where full-time workers try to balance a career and law school, which is really hard and they fail out. Then at a tier 4 maybe other schools I don't know just don't put in the work.  There are these two girls that are literally on the internet the whole time in class and shocking they are on academic probation. 

Like anything in life if you put the work in it will generally work out. Would I have been stoked to go to Harvard hell yea! Is GGU the same as Harvard or Stanford or even Hastings NO! Not even close.  Is GGU out to ruin your life No! They want you to succeed any school does.

cooleylawstudent

but what about the fact that employers are LESS likely to hire you with a T4 degree than someone who never set foot in lawschool? ::)

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I never once said a T-4 is the same thing as a top tier school.

And I never said you did.  I'm merely pointing out that you are criticizing people who are further along in the process than you are without any knowledge of what it's like to be there.

Like anything in life if you put the work in it will generally work out.

There's no reason to think that all or even most things in life will work out if you work hard.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

cooleylawstudent

sounds like you just suck dude.

I never once said a T-4 is the same thing as a top tier school.

And I never said you did.  I'm merely pointing out that you are criticizing people who are further along in the process than you are without any knowledge of what it's like to be there.

Like anything in life if you put the work in it will generally work out.

There's no reason to think that all or even most things in life will work out if you work hard.

willametterules

why would a school want to flunk out someone with a 3.5 for a bad term? How does that make them money?

I asked the same question... what's the rationale?  He danced around it, but I got the sense that the idea is that they feel anyone who can't maintain a 2.0 at all times is someone they feel may be a wildcard when sitting for the BAR.  Essentially allowing only there best and brightest to sit for the BAR assures a higher BAR pass rate, worth more financially in terms of rankings as well as for recruitment materials.  Also this situation with an A student going sub 2.0 is of course a rarity.

cooleylawstudent

so if its a T-4, how is that working for them?