Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is law school worth it?- Freaked Out!  (Read 23832 times)

IAmMultipleBooks

• View Profile
Re: Is law school worth it?- Freaked Out!
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2010, 04:26:46 PM »
I agree with no name and PSUD. My school (T14) has a similar experience. It's terrible, but the information is not reaching the 0Ls. Once you have a law degree, it's really difficult to have a professional job in a non-law field. Sure you can work at Radio Shack (where I read, anecdotally, that a Pace Law grad is working), but it's almost impossible to do the Lloyd Blankfein thing and switch to another high profession.

If you have debt, no full-time job, limited personal connections, and a law degree (worse if it's from a non-prestigious school), then you are cooked. It's a HUGE problem for young men and women. No one says much because it's considered an embarrassing situation to be in. There's a strong culture to be a Pollyanna and do the whole Oprah/Osteen think-positive thing.

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2010, 12:21:05 AM »
CJScalia, you keep repeating the same thing. I have a business background and a great familiarity with economics. You don't need to keep repeating that unemployment is bad in the US. The question is whether law school is worth it. The answer is, flatly, "no." It is only worth it if you have a strong connection in the industry, or if you go to Harvard, Yale, or Stanford. Otherwise, if you are going by strict economic calculations, it is definitely not worth it (and if you're going by lifestyle calculations, it's not worth it either, but that's neither here nor there).

You need to calm down and stop filling the board with your spin campaign.

You're the one on a spin campaign, not me.

Please educate me then, since you're pretty much telling 99% of the law school population they're doing something wrong; what should they rather do?

You guys should make a serious cost-benefit analysis and take the experiences of graduating 3Ls, law grads, and young lawyers seriously. I have been 100% honest in all my posts. Take it as you wish.

The problem is that you're just repeating a chant of "NO!" without actually offering any alternatives. The world is full of people protesting anything, surprisingly few of them has a constructive suggestion as an alternative.
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2010, 12:47:52 AM »
It wouldn't matter if your degree was something tha you scraped off the bottom of your shoe, if you can get licensed due to it and don't have your head up your ass you can find work. Put a damn ad on craiglist if you need to, stop being a little Bittch and hang your own shingle, or kill yourself, I don't really care which. Whatever it takes to stop your  bittching like a little kunt.

I agree with no name and PSUD. My school (T14) has a similar experience. It's terrible, but the information is not reaching the 0Ls. Once you have a law degree, it's really difficult to have a professional job in a non-law field. Sure you can work at Radio Shack (where I read, anecdotally, that a Pace Law grad is working), but it's almost impossible to do the Lloyd Blankfein thing and switch to another high profession.

If you have debt, no full-time job, limited personal connections, and a law degree (worse if it's from a non-prestigious school), then you are cooked. It's a HUGE problem for young men and women. No one says much because it's considered an embarrassing situation to be in. There's a strong culture to be a Pollyanna and do the whole Oprah/Osteen think-positive thing.

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2010, 12:49:05 AM »
I'm in favor of the kill yourself solution. It's very recession proof, albeit not all that prestigious.
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2010, 05:07:49 AM »

The problem is that you're just repeating a chant of "NO!" without actually offering any alternatives. The world is full of people protesting anything, surprisingly few of them has a constructive suggestion as an alternative.

For anyone in college (or earlier), here's the advice:  Think, seriously, about whether law school is truly, genuinely for you.  Not (just) the stuff about grades, exams, and so on, but the real question:  is the law what you really want to do?  If the answer is yes--and for many it is--then don't let anyone, including me, stand in your way.  If you're uncertain, I suggest reading two books: The Slacker's Guide to Law School, by Juan Doria, and [***Warning: shameless self-promotion alert***] Law School: Getting In, Getting Good, Getting the Gold, by, um, me.  Why the slacker's guide?  Because it has, I think, one of the best sections on "Should I go" that's been written.  It's also quite funny.  (Further disclaimer: I wrote a foreword to that book.)  Why my book?  In addition to plagia . . . borrowing the importance of that topic, are questions of how to think about law school and the legal profession that, in immodesty, I don't think you'll quite get from an experienced practitioner and law instructor anywhere else.

For anyone applying, read Curll's book, Best Law School Admissions' Secrets (boy that's a mouthful).  Do not read any book on "Essays that worked..." (as she'll explain).  Or, if you do read them, give them immediately to the nearest retiree and forget that you read them.  Again, Curll will explain why.

For anyone starting 1L next year, in addition to thinking about the above, focus seriously on what you're really going to accomplish.  If it's legal superstardom, now is the time to put yourself in position for that.  If you've not worked in a law office, it wouldn't be a bad idea to hunt for a part-time job, at least.  And it would not be a bad idea to begin thinking about what the law is really all about.  I'll toss out three books.  There are more, and of course one can read lots online.  But these three might be the ones to start with (or at least end with).  Planet Law School.  Love it or hate it, you're going to be going against some in your class who will read and take PLS seriously.  Be prepared.  My book (Law School: Getting In, Getting Good, Getting the Gold), cause I need another mai tai and the waiter keeps looking at me funny.  And Law School Confidential.  For the last one I've mixed feelings (along with those mixed drinks).  First, just about everyone's going to read LSC.  Second, as I explain in GGG, much of LSC is fine advice.  But, third, much is not, and, fourth, some is downright silly.  Fifth, I leave it in any case to you to decide which is which.  Finally, it wouldn't do not to mix things up a bit.  [Again with the cocktails?!]

For anyone currently in 1L, stop reading this.  Now.  

Okay, you've not stopped.  Well then, as soon as you've finished this paragraph, go to your room and pick up that practice exam you've been flipping through for two weeks.  Yes, that one.  Put aside all those useless notes.  Forget the rainbow-colored casebook.  Now is the time to put it all together.  If you have LEEWS, read and practice and read and practice that again.  If not, simply practice with hypos and practice exams and more.  You need to be taking many, many practice exams, and then going through each, line by line, figuring out what you hit and what you missed.  Refine your outlines from 30-50 pages to 1-2 pages.  Then work some more exams.  Hang in there.  You can do it.

Okay now.  Go to your room.

Twenty-three hours (and an equal number of drinks) after your last exam, get Insider's Guide to Getting a Big Firm Job, and think about how to volunteer/work part time for at least some of your first summer.  If not, consider a clinic.  (For pre-laws, it's not a bad idea to read this now, or at least during the summer, and start on the job spreadsheets the authors recommend.)

For anyone in 2L without a job--which is, yes, nearly everyone--in addition to the above now is the time to search like crazy for a smaller firm or agency in need of someone, anyone.  I know it's painful to hear that volunteering is better than nothing, but volunteering is better than nothing.  (Clearly, if you are volunteering, then at least you can follow your dreams and do something you really want to.)  Chances are you'll build at least a small network of contacts, and chances are from there that you'll be in a much better position to line up a decent job thereafter, both part-time during school and full-time thereafter.

1Ls, are you still reading this?!

For a 3L, I've noted before Morten Lund's two books (soon three), Jagged Rocks of Wisdom and Jagged Rocks of Wisdom--The Memo.  Both are superb (even though, shockingly, they're not mine).  Then there's The Young Lawyer's Jungle Book, the best book yet written, and The Curmudgeon's guide.  These will pack more advice per page than any 87 posts.

For the bar exam, take those outlines from 1L and re-do them, along with the one's you'll need from 2-3L and any other missing.  Same process, same fun.  Stirred, not shaken.

And for everyone . . . good luck in exams and in your paths.  Hang in there.  It will all work out.

Now about that mai tai

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2010, 11:00:39 AM »
 :D

I'm in favor of the kill yourself solution. It's very recession proof, albeit not all that prestigious.

byebyeny

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2010, 11:22:52 AM »
Bad economy = Bad job prospect for everyone (or almost everyone)
JD = a professional/doctoral degree > other lower degrees
Bad economy + JD = better job prospect than other degrees

Plus, if you like law, JD will do, MBA won't.

byebyeny

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2010, 11:24:35 AM »
and by the way, no law student or lawyer will admit that MBA > JD unless they are really bad at...law.

xxspykex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2010, 09:39:35 AM »
You guys realize the OP was from over 2 months ago and that the person who posted probbaly stopped reading this thread 1.9 months ago, right? Anyway, I think bikepilot summed everything up in his post.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2010, 12:20:11 PM »
perhaps because they have opinions on it, and the idea goes beyond one mans use of it?

You guys realize the OP was from over 2 months ago and that the person who posted probbaly stopped reading this thread 1.9 months ago, right? Anyway, I think bikepilot summed everything up in his post.