Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does it make sense to take the FL Bar?  (Read 3764 times)

TheStipulation

• View Profile
Does it make sense to take the FL Bar?
« on: February 18, 2010, 10:38:50 PM »
THE SITUATION:  Graduating from a Florida lawschool this semester, not originally from the state, and not too gung- ho about staying long- term.  Been applying for jobs like crazy, but no solid leads. 

While I may not find the job I want, I'm quite sure I can find "a job" in FL.  However, I tend to get bored extremely easily and will most likely want to move w/in 2-3 years.

Neither Florida, nor my home state have reciprocity w/any other state.

There is a group of 33 states all having reciprocity with each other.  NY, IL, GA, MA,PA,AZ, and TX- to name a few- are included. 

QUESTION:  If you were in this situation, would you 'limit' yourself to FL b/c that was the plan all along, OR take a state bar included in the group above and waive into any of the other 32 states (after 5 yrs) if/when you got bored and wanted to move????

GO............

plumsmugler

• View Profile
Re: Does it make sense to take the FL Bar?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 12:43:24 AM »
I'd say go with one of those other states.  If you have to take a bad job somewhere might as well do it in a place that lets you more easily find work elsewhere in the future.  Who wants to take more than one bar exam anyway?

TheStipulation

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 02:07:38 PM »
Thanks.  I was thinking the same thing.  Guess that's the presumption if I'm asking the question in the first place, lol.  Wish I had have planned better.  Who knew FL sucked so much?  Side bar, I really think this is part of the reason FSU, UF, Stetson don't place well outside the state.

I guess now the question is which would actually be easier.  Take FL, get bored with work and take another bar in fewer than 5 years, OR take another state bar, get bored but wait 5 years just to waive in somewhere else.   

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 09:16:21 AM »
Even states with rec. doesn't mean you can just transfer at any time with ease - many require 5yrs of practice, an abbreviated exam and other stuff.  You might look into states with their state section on a different day from FL's then you can take two bars with just one extra day of testing.  Also, you can always waive into DC without any waiting period.
HLS 2010

TheStipulation

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 01:10:50 PM »
Even states with rec. doesn't mean you can just transfer at any time with ease - many require 5yrs of practice, an abbreviated exam and other stuff.  You might look into states with their state section on a different day from FL's then you can take two bars with just one extra day of testing.  Also, you can always waive into DC without any waiting period.

Understood....I bet the conversation is a whole hell of a lot easier w/a prospective employer though.  I'm just not wanting to have to go through the whole, study for/take the bar, wait for results, and then look for a job thing.

Side bar, I'm applying to JAG as well.  If I'm selected, the likelihood I would be stationed in FL is very low. With that said, if I take another state bar, I'm considered 'practicing' in that jurisdiction (say TX, w/reciprocity) no matter where I live.  At the end of my service obligation, I'd already have 4 years under my belt.

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 09:20:32 PM »
I'm deciding the exact same thing right now, with one rather weak job lead pending outside of FL. I think just go where you want to for now.  For me, it isn't likely I will find much of a decent job here anyway I might as well go where I want to live. 
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.

TheStipulation

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 09:04:39 PM »
I'm deciding the exact same thing right now, with one rather weak job lead pending outside of FL. I think just go where you want to for now.  For me, it isn't likely I will find much of a decent job here anyway I might as well go where I want to live. 

Well GL.... Hope things start to look up!!!  Congrats on Graduating as well.   As for me, I'm still undecided.  Deadlines are fast approaching though!

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 10:36:24 AM »

Well GL.... Hope things start to look up!!!  Congrats on Graduating as well.   As for me, I'm still undecided.  Deadlines are fast approaching though!

Thanks! You too! I am still deciding as well. I can only give myself until the end of this month...ugh!
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.