Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Case Western v. Chapman v. MSU  (Read 2189 times)

Expostfacto

• View Profile
Case Western v. Chapman v. MSU
« on: February 18, 2010, 03:38:01 PM »
Hello everyone!

I've been accepted into Case Western with a scholarship amounting to $7,500, I've been accepted into Michigan State with 50% of my tuition covered and I have also been accepted into Chapman with 80% of tuition covered. Each school has certain features that I like and dislike, but I'm very undecided as to which to attend.

If anyone has any personal experiences/opinions with any of these schools, please let me know!

(Also I've received $25,000 from Quinnipiac, Gonzaga, New York Law and New England Law School but I decided against these schools, good choice or not?)

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Case Western v. Chapman v. MSU
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 12:59:14 PM »
I'm familiar with MSU and Case. I almost went to Case, but ultimately decided not to because 1. its in Cleveland and 2. its pretty expensive. I'm from the Murder Mitten and I know several people who go/went to MSU. I would cross MSU off the list immediately, unless you want to work in MI after law school. But, if you want to work in MI after school you should be going to Wayne State.

Case's facility is excellent, the faculty is strong, the people were all nice. If you're comfortable in the Midwest I would go with Case.

MSU's facility is also nice, not as nice a Case's but still good, I sat in on two classes, and I went to a recruiting event. I wasn't impressed with students or the faculty. The career prospects at MSU are very poor. MI is in terrible shape, Cooley is 10 miles away flooding the market with grads, and the Detroit market is dominated by Wayne grads. I was told by students at MSU-law that alums for before the affiliation with MSU, back when it was Detroit College of Law, are of little or no help to current students.

I dont know anything about Chapman.

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 02:11:58 PM »
IIRC Vernon Smith and his crew of experimental economists/econ systems design guys are now at Chapman.  They are doing some really cutting edge, unique research that has some application to law (I did some work with them when they were at GMU).  I don't know anything about the school other than that, but if you have a solid background in math, engineering or economics and an interest in ESD it could give the school an edge.
HLS 2010

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 09:24:57 PM »
I lived around Chapman and visited the school it is a beautiful campus and in a pretty nice part of town.  I personally know two people that went there and they both loved their experience passed the bar and have good jobs. My friend from high school goes to MSU and he is in his first year there. If you want any of those people's e-mails give me a direct message and I will get them to you and they can tell you a lot more about their experiences first hand.

reez

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 10:40:40 PM »
I almost went to Case, but ultimately decided not to because 1. its in Cleveland

Watch it, punk.

StonewallJacksonFan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 03:45:24 PM »
screw it, i pity "big city folks" who look down on midsize cities from their cramped NYC apartments reeking of DDT.  Good luck on your 2,000 rent payment, empty bank account  and 15 dollar drinks you flush your money on, while I chill in my sweet red brick home in which I have 50% equity while earning a mere 5-10K less than you....

gdeurance

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 11:14:30 AM »
I went to Chapman as an undergraduate. I can tell you a few things. First, I transferred after my second year, as did two of my closest friends. Orange is a small "historic" town. There is not much to do within walking distance. There are very few apartments within walking distance. You either have to drive, or rent one of the houses in the surrounding neighborhoods. That said, the campus is pretty nice and they have invested a lot of money in growing the school. It looks nothing like it did when I went there 7 years ago. I took a few law classes as an undergrad and the professors were very good--do not know if they are still there though. Newport beach is 20 minutes away and LA is only about an hour with traffic.

Would I go there, even with a full ride, no. The town, though in Southern California, is small and eventually it closed in on me. The school is well respected in the area--not sure about the law school--but most people I meet in the south or northeast have never heard of it. Hope this helps.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »
Case Western, if you can handle Cleveland.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

reez

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 01:29:20 AM »

Cleveland is a delight.

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 09:37:23 AM »

Cleveland is a delight.

Cleveland isn't as bad as people make it out to be I suppose, it just wasn't where I wanted to be.