Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Various DA's (mostly Cali) offices vs. City Attorney's office  (Read 1367 times)

kill me

Various DA's (mostly Cali) offices vs. City Attorney's office
« on: February 18, 2010, 06:26:12 AM »
I've gotten a full-on offer from Santa Barbara County, tentative offers from LA and Santa Cruz Counties, and will probably get offers from Wayne County, MI (Detroit) and from the San Diego City Attorney's Office's Community Justice Division.

So, here are the considerations:

Santa Barbara is beautiful, but they haven't hired anyone in 5 years, and because their budget is whack, they won't be hiring anyone in the next two years.  They do seem eager to take me on.  If I were to miraculously get offered a job there, the pay will barely cover my living expenses, at least until I get promoted

Santa Cruz I've heard is a very cool place to live.  They DO hire often, but because they lose a lot of their people to a neighboring county where the pay is higher.

I've heard a lot of bad things about LA being a meat market, much like a big firm.  I've all but ruled them out, unless I suddenly find out something really good about them.

Detroit is a consideration because I go to school in Michigan.  I don't want to be a part of the automatic Detroit-area brain drain, I actually have feelings for the city of Detroit, and my s/o might have to do two years of school in Michigan after I graduate from law school.

I guess my biggest question is about working at a City Attorney's office.  I absolutely love the San Diego area.  Hands down, one of my favorite places in the world, and close to where my s/o grew up and where her family still lives.  The Community Justice Division sounds like a pretty cool job, too (go into the poorer parts of the county, find out what's bothering people, and sue to enjoin the activity that's harming their community). Other than the obvious consideration of whether the office is hiring, what should I think about in deciding whether working at a City Attorney's office is a good option.

Finally, I'm not 100% sure I want to be a prosecutor.  I like the idea of always being on the right side of the law, and of being a public servant, but I'm not sure I would like a job that involves constant public speaking.

knr03

• View Profile
Re: Various DA's (mostly Cali) offices vs. City Attorney's office
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 06:37:12 PM »
question - how do you know the records for which offices have hiring freezes and which are hiring?