Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Were you ready to go to college after your junior year of high school?

Yes, at least as ready as I was when I finished my senior year.
 7 (38.9%)
Academically, yes, but I wasn't ready in other areas
 3 (16.7%)
No, I was mature enough but I had fun my senior year and wouldn't give that up.
 3 (16.7%)
No, not at all.
 2 (11.1%)
Just want to see results.
 3 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Ready for College at 17 years old?  (Read 3420 times)

TheCause

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ready for College at 17 years old?
« on: February 17, 2010, 11:31:18 AM »
Some Utah senators are proposing a bill that eliminates the 12th grade (or makes it optional)
The proposal will supposedly save the state 60 million dollars.

Thoughts?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Re: Ready for College at 17 years old?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 03:41:57 PM »
colleges should admit no one younger than 19 at time they start.  especially anyone from utah.

petes334

• View Profile
    • seattle criminal defense attorney
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 03:37:24 PM »
I was no where near ready.

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
I started college at 17 (but did all 4 years of hs, I was just young for my grade).  I really don't think one year ultimately matters, but I don't think they should cut out senior year; it's tradition and I think a lot of kids would feel like they're missing out, and they probably would be.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 05:56:21 PM »
I graduated from high school at 17. I pretty much skipped my first year of college anyways (did a ton of APs and graduated in 3 years). Looking back, I probably could have started college at 16 or earlier. However, I wouldn't have wanted to go to law school any younger.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 06:18:06 PM »
I spent my 17th birthday in an IET reception center, preparing to train to take human lives, that being said eliminating senior year is plain retarded. It eliminates a quarter of what for many is the only education they will ever get, and for many they aren't ready to graduate untill 19 or even 20. A classic case of the rich(who can afford tutors and college) takeing advantage of the weak and the poor to try to save a buck for themselves. For those truely ready, I say let them "test out" early. OR just make highschool require only the amount of credits that it did in the 1980's(17 vs the 24 and higher now) then for those who want to go on  early they can.

Liz Lemon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 09:16:45 PM »
I suppose it really depends on an individual's maturity.  I have always been mature for my age (or so others tell me), but I think I gained a lot of personal independence when I was 17, which made me much more capable of handling college.  I had a lot of problems during my first three years of high school that didn't resurface in college, and I definitely believe my senior year of high school helped in that transformation.

I don't always understand parents who push their kids to start college at very young ages.  It can't be easy being significantly younger than anyone else on campus, and you need to be mature enough to take the initiative to study on your own, wake up and go to class, and simply handle the issues that arise in college.  I'm a firm believer that a strong college experience will educate people both academically AND socially.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 02:58:50 AM »
Some Utah senators are proposing a bill that eliminates the 12th grade (or makes it optional)
The proposal will supposedly save the state 60 million dollars.

Thoughts?

you think that's nuts, look at this....

Public, students speak out against Grand Rapids schools' online education, superintendent scales back plan
By The Grand Rapids Press
April 27, 2010, 12:23AM

T.J. Hamilton | The Grand Rapids PressThe audience listens during the Grand Rapids school board meeting Monday at Ottawa Hills High School.GRAND RAPIDS -- About 600 people attended Monday's rescheduled Grand Rapids Board of Education meeting, with nearly 50 registering days in advance to question the board about proposed changes, including a controversial shift to online instruction at the city's high schools.

But Wes Viersen said he came to answer the board's questions about online classes. The Creston High School senior considers himself an expert in online courses, having completed 14 this year -- a feat he said he could verify with the transcript in his pocket.

"Overall, the quality of E2020 is horrible," Viersen told the board. "I completed courses, but I did not get an adequate education."

Public speaks out about proposed online classes

Monday's meeting was moved to Ottawa Hills High School, a week after a meeting that drew an overflow crowd had to be canceled because of fire code concerns.
Many in the crowd asked the school board to take another look at the proposal for online learning, which has drawn heavy criticism.

De'Andreah Hollowell, a sophomore at City High School, said it is the arts that put Grand Rapids on the map, but the proposed switch to running arts "hubs" citywide will weaken arts education overall by forcing students to specialize. At 16, Hollowell said she's not ready to choose between her interests, art and debate.

Paris Lara, a Creston sophomore, challenged the board to listen to its public, and thoroughly investigate online learning results in GRPS and other districts before deciding it'll be fine for most students.

Cierra Harris, a student at Southeast Career Pathways, which has 100 percent online instruction, had to leave before the 90-minute public comment period began, but said she wanted to warn the board that security is an issue.

She said there have been times teacher's passwords were swiped and students changed their grades. Family and friends also have found ways to log on to do a student's work. The district suspends cheaters, but that won't deter some students from trying, she said.

RELATED CONTENT
Dean Transportation bus contract extended

Board member Tony Baker encouraged the board to survey high school students about their experience with online learning before approving a budget that includes cuts achieved by moving much instruction online.

Baker and colleagues Senita Lenear and Wendy Falb supported a failed motion not to accept a $400,000 Kellogg Foundation grant to train teachers how to instruct in a blended format unless a board study concludes the move has academic merit.

Falb's comments that the changes proposed in GRPS run counter to President Obama's K-12 technology in education policy ignited a standing ovation and the longest applause of the night.

"Quit now. Give it up," said Jim Rinck, a former board member, who charged that a culture of fear and intimidation is eating away at the district like a cancer. "I'm appalled at what I hear and what I see."

Superintendent Bernard Taylor requested clear direction from the board soon about how administration should proceed.

"If not this, what?" Taylor asked, reminding the board that $10 to $15 million must be cut from the 2010-11 budget, which law requires be approved by June 30.

Taylor also invited high school principals to publicly support the plan, updated Monday with changes they recommended after school-based budgeting meetings and course selections for next fall.

Under the revised plan, most high school students would take two core academic classes -- instead of four -- in a blended format, with part instruction given face-to-face by a teacher and part from modules taught via computer.

The change will lift a 72-student cap per subject, per grade, per building for students who prefer to take traditionally taught classes, said John Helmholdt, the district's spokesman.

The new plan will necessitate minimal layoffs since a higher number of staff -- 72 teachers and 19 administrators -- have notified the district they intend to retire, Taylor wrote in a Friday memo to the board.

Beyond the retirements, the district will have to eliminate 28 high school teaching positions, 24 middle school teachers, 20 special education teachers, 14 art, music and physical education teachers and 10 elementary teachers, to achieve $11 million in cuts, according to Taylor's memo.

Principals at the districts' four comprehensive high schools now intend to offer most math and social studies classes in the blended format. There are exceptions. Principals want Algebra II, the most difficult class many students take, taught in the traditional way.

"Developing quality (blended) curriculum takes time," said Ed Shalhoup, principal at Union High. "With the amount of time we have (before fall), we figure we can develop two courses."

Taylor said after the meeting that the plan was never firm to offer all four core high school classes online, although that is what was stated on the district's website.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 03:12:38 AM »
ABA might not like online courses, but highschools sure seem to think that it's the way to go.
I still expect the fact kids to find a way to somehow fail online gym. Don't know how, but they're lazy enough to make it happen, they'll find a way.

sonofapickle

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 05:47:25 PM »
I don't really see a problem with 17 year olds going to college. When I was in High School most of my work was college level work as I was in PSEO program for High School students wanting to knock out college credits early on. I did very well in the program and I am almost done with college. I believe some 17 year olds are ready for college and some clearly are not ready. It depends on the student which is why I say let the mediator be the PSEO program for both sides claiming no and yes.