Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Villanova v. Pitt  (Read 651 times)

nooyyllib

Villanova v. Pitt
« on: February 16, 2010, 02:42:57 PM »
Ok, I narrowed the schools down to Villanova and Pitt in case my waitlist situation doesn't work out. No money information yet on both sides but I just have a feeling Pitt will offer me a little more than Villanova. But I'm not sure because my numbers are horrendous.

My ultimate goal is Biglaw. But I am paranoid for different reasons (not the economy). I want to go into biglaw to make partner

For Pitt, the job competition IMHO is only with Duquene (forgive my spelling) and maybe Case. However, I've been reading online and some say getting a K&L Gates job for example is extremely difficult for Pitt grads in Pittsburgh (not sure if this is 100% true). My real fear for Pittsburgh is the "diversity" factor. When I mean diversity I'm not talking about the diversity of the law school - I'm sure since it's a "school" it is pretty diverse. I'm talking about Pittsburgh the city. I am Asian American. The diversity aspect that scares me is the obvious glass ceiling Asian Americans face in the corporate world. From my brief online readings I did not find a single Asian associate in the Pittsburgh "biglaw" firms.

I'm leaning toward Pitt because of the lower competition in the market compared to Villanova (its Philly market competing with Temple, Penn, and maybe PSU), but I'm worried that even if I get hired in Pittsburgh biglaw, my prospects for making partner or moving up the ladder will be slim because I'm not "white".

Forgive me if my opinion is completely erroneous. This is just my perspective on things right now. I've always lived in Virginia and the D.C. area so I'm really unsure of other states/cities.

I'd appreciate any input.

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Villanova v. Pitt
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 08:44:32 PM »
I'm a 1L here at Pitt. I'm not from PA and I don't know much about Nova. But, I can say two things that might be relevant. 1. KL and the other large firms in Pittsburgh hire - in a normal economy - a lot of Pitt grads. Partners from the firms- Pittsburgh offices and other offices - are at the school all the time. That being said, its brutal for everyone right now. Regardless of which school you choose that will be true. Add in the other mid sized firms here and you have plenty of opportunity for mid/large law firm career if you have get good grades. 2. There are a few Asian Americans in my section, but  there aren't very many in the greater community that I've seen.

Pitt has Pittsburgh locked up, second only to t14 schools. After Pittsburgh most grads end up in Philly and DC, then smaller cities throughout the mid Atlantic, and Cleveland. Philadelphia is a much more saturated market than Pittsburgh.

If you have other questions I would be happy to answer them.