Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Brooklyn law vs. st johns  (Read 4044 times)

teardrops11

• View Profile
Brooklyn law vs. st johns
« on: February 15, 2010, 07:37:53 PM »
Hey everyone. Totally new to this discussion board. Wanted to see if I could get some opinions because im completely confused and seat deposits are due soon!

Full scholarship to st. Johns or brooklyn law? I don't know which to choose.

Anyone have any opinions/advice? 

Any answer is helpful. Thank you!

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Brooklyn law vs. st johns
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 08:36:32 PM »
I feel like I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but are there conditions on either scholarship (by conditions, I mean a requirement that you meet a certain GPA or class rank)?
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

teardrops11

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 09:16:44 PM »
Top 50%

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 10:00:18 PM »
If same scholarship conditions, I would just go by location. They are pretty even schools in terms of education & job prospects.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

StonewallJacksonFan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 11:51:09 PM »
I woulf go to Brooklyn since it is high t2 in comparison to low T2 for St. John's.  They say beyond T10 rankings do not matter that much, but if you have similar financial aid, would not hurt to decide in favor of the rankings...

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 11:59:48 PM »
Don't choose on rank. Visit the schools, each law school has its own vibe. You might discover one feels a lot better to you than the other. Do a little research on their clinical programs or their concentrations. Look at their faculty and see if they are doing research that interests you. 

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 09:32:59 PM »
Don't choose on rank. Visit the schools, each law school has its own vibe. You might discover one feels a lot better to you than the other. Do a little research on their clinical programs or their concentrations. Look at their faculty and see if they are doing research that interests you. 

Yeah, this is great advice, if you do not care the least about getting a job post graduation.

That being said, the schools are fairly evenly matched. Brooklyn is undoubtedly ahead of St Johns though.
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

Sarastro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 11:02:24 PM »
I am in a similar boat and have little time to decide.  I have 30K at BLS and a full ride at St. John's.  I prefer BLS and think I would enjoy law school more there, but really how important is that with similar job prospects etc.?  Anyone have any insight?

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 09:20:15 PM »
Job prospects are very similar. There might be a slight advantage to BLS, but that truly is slight.

That being said, the economy is going to change in 3 years, and the legal profession even more so. We're likely to see law firms go away from the current Cravath model (in fact, many already are), and this makes it a bit hard to predict how things will change over those 3 years.

As Baby has said above, look at the conditions of your scholarship. If it requires you to be in the top 25-35%, I'd be very cautious about taking it. If it's 50%, it's acceptable. If it's unconditional, great. You really have no idea how you're going to do in law school until you're there.
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.