Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UIUC vs. Rutgers-Newark  (Read 1103 times)

van123

• View Profile
UIUC vs. Rutgers-Newark
« on: February 12, 2010, 05:30:30 PM »
Hi All,

I am undecided between Rutgers-Newark and UIUC. UIUC has a much better national ranking, but I would like to work in the New York/New Jersey job market after law school.

Any comments would be appreciated!

IPFreely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UIUC vs. Rutgers-Newark
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 05:18:56 PM »
I don't know what the situation is now, but UIUC was placing decently in NYC before the economy fell apart.  Most of us want to stay in the Chicago area, since that's where most of us are from.

petermharrington

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: UIUC vs. Rutgers-Newark
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 01:17:32 AM »

You should be forewarned that Newark can be a pretty dirty, depressing place to live. Even despite everything that Cory Booker is doing to revitalize the city.

Sure you're only a 20 minute PATH ride from the City. But you're still going to be spending the majority of your time in Newark in all likelihood.

Law school can be pretty depressing at times in and of itself. Studies show that the profession has high rates of depression, suicide, and substance abuse.

I think that a lot of people get so caught up in the USNWR rankings that they overlook quality of life considerations.

I just really hope that you take a tour of the city of Newark before making your decision.