Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is a JD Just another Humanities Degree?  (Read 6421 times)

Sheshe

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 83
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is a JD Just another Humanities Degree?
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2010, 10:02:34 PM »
Ok now lets play nice you guys........LMAO   ;D
A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.

~Thomas Jefferson~

StonewallJacksonFan

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 101
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is a JD Just another Humanities Degree?
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2010, 12:13:14 AM »

Lol, doubt biglaw will be quizzing you on the subjects during interview.  Probably will be a ton of small talk amd socializing because most decisions are already made based on class rank/school rank, and a small input from social skills determined during the interview. I was 6 out of 166 in my business school with double major and have extensive interviewing experience so we will see how things go in law school...

Just because I misspoke on a stupid blog board it does not mean anything.

And that's where discussion on whether JD is another humanities degree lead us, people........

bigs5068

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 1474
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is a JD Just another Humanities Degree?
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2010, 07:21:21 PM »
Your right in legal interviews they never ask you about anything about the law and as a lawyer you sit around telling everybody you went to a T-30 school.  Law firms do not care at all about your ability to be a lawyer law school name and rank is absolutely everything! You can lose every case if you went to a T-30 school. 

I think you have really little to no idea what you are getting yourself into Stonewall. The first day of law school your LSAT/GPA will mean ja*k everybody in your class will be smart and you have a 10% chance of being in the bottom of your class and a 10% chance in in being in the top 10% and 80% chance being somewhere in between.

sonofapickle

  • Guest
Re: Is a JD Just another Humanities Degree?
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2010, 10:01:25 AM »
Lol, I was just saying that the J.D. degree means nothing if you haven't passed the bar. But, yeah, it is like a humanities degree. You don't get anything with it alone. I agree with the accountant. I will have my undergraduate bachelor of arts in Finance, philosophy, and international studies. I have all the prereqs for med school finished as well just in case I need to go back to school for something in a few years. Not only that I am fluent in two languages, English and German, and proficient in Spanish (meaning I can speak most and understand a lot of it but not privy to certain dialects of a country). Corporate lawyers need to branch out if a legal company is outsourcing and many Big Law firms have sectors in Europe and many Europeans speak German and Spanish, so I am pretty much set but I need experience, i.e. have to stay here for a few years while I generate wealth.

JD is a jackshit degree if you don't branch out.

cooleylawstudent

  • Guest
Re: Is a JD Just another Humanities Degree?
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2010, 11:29:23 AM »
You over estimate your ability over others to network. Almost everyone does that.
If you honestly are planning to go to medschool,then you must plan to be a horrible lawyer, so you can stop bragging about whatever "network" you have setup. If you want to be an MD why not just do that upfront?

Lol, I was just saying that the J.D. degree means nothing if you haven't passed the bar. But, yeah, it is like a humanities degree. You don't get anything with it alone. I agree with the accountant. I will have my undergraduate bachelor of arts in Finance, philosophy, and international studies. I have all the prereqs for med school finished as well just in case I need to go back to school for something in a few years. Not only that I am fluent in two languages, English and German, and proficient in Spanish (meaning I can speak most and understand a lot of it but not privy to certain dialects of a country). Corporate lawyers need to branch out if a legal company is outsourcing and many Big Law firms have sectors in Europe and many Europeans speak German and Spanish, so I am pretty much set but I need experience, i.e. have to stay here for a few years while I generate wealth.

JD is a jackshit degree if you don't branch out.

sonofapickle

  • Guest
Re: Is a JD Just another Humanities Degree?
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2010, 03:28:35 PM »
If I get into the right law school say Yale or Harvard I can participate in their J.D./M.D. program. That means, I can become a licensed medical doctor and a Juris doctor. You obviously failed to consider the two. If I do not get into a law school that doesn't offer the program, no worries, I could possibly pursue a medical degree some time in the future.

legalized

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 136
    • View Profile
Re: Is a JD Just another Humanities Degree?
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2010, 09:21:26 PM »
I recently heard that unless you attend a top 10-15 law school, that the JD is just another humanities degree.  He said that many law grads just struggle to find any type of work if they aren't from the national schools.

This post was by someone on an education forum who had thousands of posts, so I took it he might know what he's talking about, but figured if he's calling it another humanities degree, he's improperly characterizing it.

Further, this person said that the JD is not that all marketable, unless you are a top grad from a top school.

Is this the undesirable truth when it comes to law school and job prospects and rankings? 

Thank you.

Um...I would say no since you can take a JD and go right into business for yourself with a specific product (legal counsel/contracts/doc review) whereas I have never heard of Johnny Q. Public being in the market for an hour of ...Humanities.

Law SCHOOL might seem like a humanities type thing after first year...but somehow, i don't like that either. lol But I don't know.

bigs5068

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 1474
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is a JD Just another Humanities Degree?
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2010, 12:30:57 PM »
Law school is a profession like any other and yea if you are the number #1 student at Harvard or Yale I am pretty sure that person will have the first crack at a job over you. 

Just like if someone graduates with 4.0 in computer science from Stanford again they are going to have an advantage over a guy with a 3.1 in computer science from UC Irvine. 

Harvard, Stanford, Yale and so on don't just hand out law degrees they give degrees in other fields as well and people from those schools will have an advantage, because you have to be pretty damn smart to get into them. 

However, not everybody is meant for Stanford and we all need jobs and if you are not a super genius, which most people aren't you going to have to fight for a job in any field. 

If you really want to be a lawyer go to law school and it will probably work out, but no guarantees. If you want to be a teacher get a teaching credential, doctor medical school, accountant get an accounting degree, and simply down the line. The logic will apply an M.D. from Harvard will open more doors than an M.D. from UC Irvine. An accounting Degree from UCLA will open more doors than one from GGU, but there are jobs for any of these degrees, but they will just be harder to get. Academics are not an end all be all if you are a really good lawyer it will show in practice, if you are really good doctor it will show, a good accountant will show no matter what school you went to.


bakabaka

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Is a JD Just another Humanities Degree?
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2010, 03:51:10 AM »
What is, then?  Relatively speaking, what field/degree helps give you that prospect?

Medical doctor.  $150k compensation minimum (something no law school can promise), with specialists earning over $250k.  Specialist surgeons commonly make over $400k.  Of course the hours suck and residency is brutal, but biglaw ain't much better either.  And you feel like you're actually doing something important, instead of having your soul sucked out doing discovery so that your millionaire clients can become more wealthy and pushing Outlook emails around all day long.

All the talk about health care reform is just hot air.  Medicine will always be lucrative in America simply because we as a culture refuse to take no (or death) as an answer.  Just look at the number of 0L's who are still trying to attend T3 law schools....

cooleylawstudent

  • Guest
Re: Is a JD Just another Humanities Degree?
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2010, 04:14:25 AM »
You are a f-ing idiot and you know it. There is no "minimum" in medicine. There are MD's out there dirt poor as *&^%, and with Obamacare its only going to become more and more the mcdonalds of healthcare. Socialism, gotta love it. Where'd you get your facts, "Greys Anatomy"?  :-X

What is, then?  Relatively speaking, what field/degree helps give you that prospect?

Medical doctor.  $150k compensation minimum (something no law school can promise), with specialists earning over $250k.  Specialist surgeons commonly make over $400k.  Of course the hours suck and residency is brutal, but biglaw ain't much better either.  And you feel like you're actually doing something important, instead of having your soul sucked out doing discovery so that your millionaire clients can become more wealthy and pushing Outlook emails around all day long.

All the talk about health care reform is just hot air.  Medicine will always be lucrative in America simply because we as a culture refuse to take no (or death) as an answer.  Just look at the number of 0L's who are still trying to attend T3 law schools....