Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is a JD Just another Humanities Degree?  (Read 6480 times)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is a JD Just another Humanities Degree?
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 07:09:59 PM »
Education is a risk, there are plenty of well educated people that have not found economic success and people without high-school diplomas that are extremely rich. The media gives a portrayal that all lawyers are rich and that is far from the truth same for doctors, the expense of getting a medical or legal education are astronomical and I know doctors and lawyers who are still paying of their loans, but most of them really wanted to go into the professions they choose so they are happy. The bottom line if you really want to be a lawyer then go to law school, but if you are doing it solely for the money you will be very disappointed.

StonewallJacksonFan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 10:23:12 PM »
no it is not, I am sorry I understand you are not fan of numbers but for them it is 180k salary plus 100k on the side= 280k a year while working 30-35 hours a week total and having fun without a boss, sleeping in all the time and spending tons of time with family and enjoying their hobbies. 

PhD in Finance could be pretty good too, but they make 30-50k less on average than people with PhD in Accounting, due to supply and demand - more people feel like doing PhD in Finance will be more lucrative, and they get penalized financially for thinking exactly like the other lemmings...

Sheshe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 11:49:50 PM »
OP you shouldn't just be chasing dollar signs.  Do what you love and what you're good at.  Money will come later. Emphasis on "the what you're good at" part.  
A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.

~Thomas Jefferson~

StonewallJacksonFan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 02:19:30 AM »
the only reason i am dollar signs is because they will make me independent of silliness (strong euphemism) of the majority mob rule.  The morning I will not have to rely on the judgment of 99% of people who think they know everything but do not know jack will be the best time in my life.  I will definitely make sure to FDIC insure my money to protect it from money managers who think they know what they are talking about.  Thats all.

P.S. I self represented myself in 2 lawsuits filed against me and won in a landslide thanks to my legal research and writing skills.  Moreover, I love law and enjoy studying it. I foresee the dollar signs invested in law schools likely wasted, but going there anyways.

Sheshe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 03:20:24 PM »
the only reason i am dollar signs is because they will make me independent of silliness (strong euphemism) of the majority mob rule.  The morning I will not have to rely on the judgment of 99% of people who think they know everything but do not know jack will be the best time in my life.  I will definitely make sure to FDIC insure my money to protect it from money managers who think they know what they are talking about.  Thats all.

P.S. I self represented myself in 2 lawsuits filed against me and won in a landslide thanks to my legal research and writing skills.  Moreover, I love law and enjoy studying it. I foresee the dollar signs invested in law schools likely wasted, but going there anyways.

That's my point exactly; do what you love and what you do well! I would never try to talk anyone out of law if thats where their true passion lies.  But it didn't seem like the OP truly wanted to be an attorney.  Instead it seemed to me as if he/she just wanted to make a crap load of money doing anything, which is not the recipe to a fulfilling life.
A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.

~Thomas Jefferson~

TheCause

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 11:52:02 AM »
the only reason i am dollar signs is because they will make me independent of silliness (strong euphemism) of the majority mob rule.  The morning I will not have to rely on the judgment of 99% of people who think they know everything but do not know jack will be the best time in my life.  I will definitely make sure to FDIC insure my money to protect it from money managers who think they know what they are talking about.  Thats all.

P.S. I self represented myself in 2 lawsuits filed against me and won in a landslide thanks to my legal research and writing skills.  Moreover, I love law and enjoy studying it. I foresee the dollar signs invested in law schools likely wasted, but going there anyways.

You won in a landslide?  Did they tell you what percentage you won by or something?

"I find for the plaintiff, who carried 60% of my decision in this case!  An overwhelming margin."

Go to a good school, get a good job, change lives, make money, come back and tell everyone how to be a good lawyer/law student.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 05:44:04 PM »
no, no listen to me, i have thousands of posts so i know what i'm talking about!!!!

non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

StonewallJacksonFan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 11:26:48 PM »
There was no margin but the judge pretty much told the defendant to get the fack out of the courtroom and never come back.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 11:32:03 PM »
P.S. I self represented myself in 2 lawsuits filed against me...

...the judge pretty much told the defendant to get the fack out of the courtroom and never come back.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 01:22:43 AM »
P.S. I self represented myself in 2 lawsuits filed against me...

...the judge pretty much told the defendant to get the fack out of the courtroom and never come back.

:D :D :D :D :D :D
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD