Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I'm fairly conservative, and I think Sara Palin is an idiot.  (Read 4346 times)

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I'm fairly conservative, and I think Sara Palin is an idiot.
« on: February 10, 2010, 03:54:17 PM »
How is she even remotely qualified?

Are people hoping she'll be the republican candidate in 2012 just because they agree with her?
Why not choose Joe the plumber for VP?

Mitt Romney, who most people have problems with, is 20 times more qualified than Palin.

Anyone have an explanation?

violaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: I'm fairly conservative, and I think Sara Palin is an idiot.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 04:18:56 PM »
Agreed.

Sheshe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 04:38:35 PM »
I consider myself to be a liberal leaning independent, however; I really wanted to like Palin when McCain introduced her.  I thought she was slightly impressive until she opened her mouth.  After learning more and more about her I became convinced that not only was she unqualified, but also that she's a blooming idiot.  From my own observation, I've noticed that a significant portion of the conservative base tend to put being able to identify with the candidate above qualification.  It seems that they simply want an average joe, because they think these are the types of ppl whoo will have their best interest in mind.  I'm not saying that this is the case with all conservatives, or even most.  I'm not even saying its wrong.  Its just that I first and foremost put qualification, and then maybe relatability.  Basically, I just want someone to ge the job done.  I can care less about details that interest some ppl. like family or religious values. 
A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.

~Thomas Jefferson~

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 08:45:09 PM »
Well, you've got at least 3 strains of conservatism fighting for the national platform:

Fiscal conservatism (e.g., Romney), that may be flexible on some social issues
Social conservatism (e.g., Huckabee), that may have a populist economic bent
Tea party conservatism (and Palin is their self-appointed leader), that hates wall street, but hates government intervention enough to probably not be too keen on the entire social conservative agenda.

Throw foreign policy into the mix, and you have both hawkish neoconservatives and Heritage society relative isolationists in all three groups, all at odds with one another.

How these factions agree on one candidate for president is beyond me.  In 2008, they went with the least objectionable candidate and got creamed.  Romney will fare no better this time around; he has no cred outside of fiscal conservative circles.  So, who do you have?  Pawlenty?  Huckabee again?  McDonnell, the new VA governor?  Jindal?  The pickins are slim. 

But to get back to Palin, what she's good at is bashing Obama.  That will score her a lot of points with pissed-off conservatives.  But if the republicans actually want to win an election, they've got to do more than put forth a candidate that the small-town red-staters (mostly social conservatives and tea-party types) can get behind.  They've got to run a candidate that won't scare off independents, and I don't know if the far right wing is going to let one of those candidates get out of the primaries, especially after the McCain debacle, and, after the 2010 midterms in which conservative candidates in this slowly-recovering economy will do very well.  But by 2012, I think the economy will be a lot stronger, and Obama will be in position to take the credit.

Should be an interesting next few years.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 10:19:53 AM »
at least julie not have gump kick around anymore.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 01:05:18 AM »
Well, you've got at least 3 strains of conservatism fighting for the national platform:

Tea party conservatism (and Palin is their self-appointed leader), that hates wall street, but hates government intervention enough to probably not be too keen on the entire social conservative agenda.

Throw foreign policy into the mix, and you have both hawkish neoconservatives and Heritage society relative isolationists in all three groups, all at odds with one another.

How these factions agree on one candidate for president is beyond me.  In 2008, they went with the least objectionable candidate and got creamed.  Romney will fare no better this time around; he has no cred outside of fiscal conservative circles.  So, who do you have?  Pawlenty?  Huckabee again?  McDonnell, the new VA governor?  Jindal?  The pickins are slim.  

But to get back to Palin, what she's good at is bashing Obama.  That will score her a lot of points with pissed-off conservatives.  But if the republicans actually want to win an election, they've got to do more than put forth a candidate that the small-town red-staters (mostly social conservatives and tea-party types) can get behind.  They've got to run a candidate that won't scare off independents, and I don't know if the far right wing is going to let one of those candidates get out of the primaries, especially after the McCain debacle, and, after the 2010 midterms in which conservative candidates in this slowly-recovering economy will do very well.  But by 2012, I think the economy will be a lot stronger, and Obama will be in position to take the credit.

one thing you missed is that in naming your candidates for conservatives...you only suggested republicans...conservatism lives on both sides of the aisle...

palin, plain and simple... is a celebrity..she's going to sell books, give speeches and that is about it.  why the ad lib media is so obsessed with her is silly...but it does sell light bulbs for g.e. and they in turn make her a great deal of money...got to love capitalism.
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 08:40:54 PM »

How these factions agree on one candidate for president is beyond me.  In 2008, they went with the least objectionable candidate and got creamed.  Romney will fare no better this time around; he has no cred outside of fiscal conservative circles.  So, who do you have?  Pawlenty?  Huckabee again?  McDonnell, the new VA governor?  Jindal?  The pickins are slim.  

But to get back to Palin, what she's good at is bashing Obama.  That will score her a lot of points with pissed-off conservatives.  But if the republicans actually want to win an election, they've got to do more than put forth a candidate that the small-town red-staters (mostly social conservatives and tea-party types) can get behind.  They've got to run a candidate that won't scare off independents, and I don't know if the far right wing is going to let one of those candidates get out of the primaries, especially after the McCain debacle, and, after the 2010 midterms in which conservative candidates in this slowly-recovering economy will do very well.  But by 2012, I think the economy will be a lot stronger, and Obama will be in position to take the credit.

one thing you missed is that in naming your candidates for conservatives...you only suggested republicans...conservatism lives on both sides of the aisle...

palin, plain and simple... is a celebrity..she's going to sell books, give speeches and that is about it.  why the ad lib media is so obsessed with her is silly...but it does sell light bulbs for g.e. and they in turn make her a great deal of money...got to love capitalism.

True, but I wasn't really thinking beyond 2012.  Do you really think Obama is going to get a primary challenger from his right, or that a Democrat is going to start a centrist third party?  In 2016, I could see a guy like Mark Warner getting the democratic nod, and he's a business-savvy moderate, if not a conservative.  I'm not sure who really fits in the category of "conservative democrat" anymore.  You might have Democrats who take a conservative position or two (2d Amendment, "family values," or something), but I can't think of any Democrats who fit the "preservation-of-the-status-quo" definition of conservatism, other than perhaps Arlen Specter, who seems to have switched parties out of short-sighted political expediency (I'm sure you'll LOVE running as a Democrat in 2010, Arlen); I'm not sure if he counts.

And the fascination with Palin is not just on the liberal side.  Living in rural Virginia during the 2008 election season, I saw "I'm voting for the chick" signs on lawns all over the Shenandoah Valley -- the locals were much more excited about her than McCain.  Plus, she's on Fox News, and headlining the Tea Party Convention, for crying out loud!  The main liberal fascination is -- "Wow, are there really that many ignorant morons in this country?"  I know the left has its share of fools as well, but even Nader couldn't crack 3% in 2000; I bet Sara would get 20% as an independent in 2012, in Ross Perot territory, without having a single defining idea.  What would her platform be, beyond a collection of trite anti-Obama one-liners (which, I must say, she executes well, and I think is the real reason for her stardom:  her channeling of the anti-Obama rage)?
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 10:22:22 AM »
you non-starter, period.  except when come to sheepfucking.  then you all initiative.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 07:48:10 AM »
independents myth.  most lean strongly one party or other.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 08:18:33 PM »

How these factions agree on one candidate for president is beyond me.  In 2008, they went with the least objectionable candidate and got creamed.  Romney will fare no better this time around; he has no cred outside of fiscal conservative circles.  So, who do you have?  Pawlenty?  Huckabee again?  McDonnell, the new VA governor?  Jindal?  The pickins are slim. 

But to get back to Palin, what she's good at is bashing Obama.  That will score her a lot of points with pissed-off conservatives.  But if the republicans actually want to win an election, they've got to do more than put forth a candidate that the small-town red-staters (mostly social conservatives and tea-party types) can get behind.  They've got to run a candidate that won't scare off independents, and I don't know if the far right wing is going to let one of those candidates get out of the primaries, especially after the McCain debacle, and, after the 2010 midterms in which conservative candidates in this slowly-recovering economy will do very well.  But by 2012, I think the economy will be a lot stronger, and Obama will be in position to take the credit.

True, but I wasn't really thinking beyond 2012.  Do you really think Obama is going to get a primary challenger from his right, or that a Democrat is going to start a centrist third party?  In 2016, I could see a guy like Mark Warner getting the democratic nod, and he's a business-savvy moderate, if not a conservative.  I'm not sure who really fits in the category of "conservative democrat" anymore.  You might have Democrats who take a conservative position or two (2d Amendment, "family values," or something), but I can't think of any Democrats who fit the "preservation-of-the-status-quo" definition of conservatism, other than perhaps Arlen Specter, who seems to have switched parties out of short-sighted political expediency (I'm sure you'll LOVE running as a Democrat in 2010, Arlen); I'm not sure if he counts.

And the fascination with Palin is not just on the liberal side.  Living in rural Virginia during the 2008 election season, I saw "I'm voting for the chick" signs on lawns all over the Shenandoah Valley -- the locals were much more excited about her than McCain.  Plus, she's on Fox News, and headlining the Tea Party Convention, for crying out loud!  The main liberal fascination is -- "Wow, are there really that many ignorant morons in this country?"  I know the left has its share of fools as well, but even Nader couldn't crack 3% in 2000; I bet Sara would get 20% as an independent in 2012, in Ross Perot territory, without having a single defining idea.  What would her platform be, beyond a collection of trite anti-Obama one-liners (which, I must say, she executes well, and I think is the real reason for her stardom:  her channeling of the anti-Obama rage)?

looks like ron paul is waxing poetic with regard to conservatism...see c-pac...

so you were looking for republican conservatives pushing for the national spotlight...

fiscal conservatism is factually in the democratic party...

look for green conservatism in "democrats" like the independent mike bloomberg...folks out in the midwest seem to like him...go figure..

this guy could singularly fund his entire campaign...

fiscal conservatism on the democratic side is ruling the health care issue...

and perhaps it has nothing to do with who will run in 2012...but all is cyclical and simultaneously unpredictable in politics..

one or two issues that are conservative issues pushed by a democrat...makes for a conservative democrat...

aye think with your "status quo" thoughts you are addressing "british conservatism"

"social/fiscal" democratic conservatism appears when you look at stupak and the representatives going along with his thinking on the health care issue...those followers have elements of social or cultural conservatism...getting into their conscience is tough to do...is it the money or is it their heart...you be the judge...those on the republican far right or religious conservatives silently go along with stupak for differnt reasons...

conservatism is the spirit which drives america...it is the disease which will not go away for liberals..conservatism infects both parties.

we live in a conservative country..

needless to say ron paul...bloomberg...might be the alternative to obama...if this year is anything like last year...obama will be seen the same way as jimmy carter...not a strong president...and aye mean strong in the way bush was strong...obama has some big shoes to fill...and so far...except for the operations in the mid east...he is not doing it...

right leaning democrats...call them independents ..it can be one or two issues which define a candidate...

look at scott brown..one of his issues was that darned pickup truck.

be warned not to play down the importance of one or two issues which can define a candidate...

if you are a voter and do not have a job...that is your issue and that shapes ideology...

aye wish palin all the best with her book sales. ;D  the far left loves her more than the far right...promise...

we independents don't care what happens with her political career...she is a non starter for us.

If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare