Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: T14 Trumps anything? Cornell v. Illinois - Champaign (UIUC)  (Read 3537 times)

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: T14 Trumps anything? Cornell v. Illinois - Champaign (UIUC)
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 02:38:01 PM »
If its not a guaranteed scholarship, I'd go to Cornell. If it is and you can see yourself in Chicago or a similar midwest city I'd take UIUC all the way. ITE the financial freedom would be tough to pass on.

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 04:06:59 PM »
Hi,

Which would you pick? Cornell with no $$ or University of Illinois Champaign with a full scholarship?

Duh, I don't know why I missed this... Cornell hasn't give out money yet - it probably won't until March/April, with the exception of the Dean's scholarships.  You might want to wait to make this decision until you see what your award might be.
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

spaa

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 01:38:46 PM »
Thanks for the help!

I should have specified that the financial picture does matter to me, a lot. I am debt-averse, not car loan, no credit cards, not even a contract cell phone.    :)

I already have about $25K in undergrad loans (Unavoidable), and although I haven't decided if I want biglaw, a $180K debt will
pretty much force me to look for a high-paying job, whether I like it or not.

Illinois seems to do fairly well with large firms in Chicago.

In the end I'm basically rolling the dice.

Thanks again and good luck for those who are still deciding!!

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 05:20:43 PM »
Thanks for the help!

I should have specified that the financial picture does matter to me, a lot. I am debt-averse, not car loan, no credit cards, not even a contract cell phone.    :)

I already have about $25K in undergrad loans (Unavoidable), and although I haven't decided if I want biglaw, a $180K debt will

You never addressed the question of conditions on the scholarship.  Is it guaranteed or do you need to maintain a certain average?
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

spaa

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 05:54:09 PM »
Thanks for the help!

You never addressed the question of conditions on the scholarship.  Is it guaranteed or do you need to maintain a certain average?

It only states that as long as I remain in good academic standing. It does not specify a minimum GPA or top percentage of the class, so it does not seem to have many strings attached.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 06:13:07 PM »
It only states that as long as I remain in good academic standing. It does not specify a minimum GPA or top percentage of the class, so it does not seem to have many strings attached.

That sounds like a pretty good deal.  Let us know how you end up deciding.  :)
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

IPFreely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 05:14:18 PM »

That sounds like a pretty good deal.  Let us know how you end up deciding.  :)
It *is* a good deal.  AFAIK, the only way you will lose your scholarship here (I'm at UIUC) is if you are flunking out anyway.

I very nearly went to [redacted] instead (the only warm-weather school I got into), but am glad I didn't, because my 1L year was sheer hell (multiple illnesses), and given [redacted]'s "top half" requirement, I *would* have lost my scholarship there.

Very glad to be at UIUC.  It's a great school, too.

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 09:33:02 PM »
Illinois 2L here.

A few insights  (i haven't read the whole thread, so my apologies if i'm repeating stuff...)

1)  A full ride is a pretty big deal, especially if it's unconditional (I know most of us have unconditional scholarships)
2)  No law school guarantees big law, so you can't assume you'll make tons of cash at graduation, especially if the legal market takes 20 years to recover  (and it hasn't yet, so seriously don't believe anyone who says it "will" or even "should" turn around in X years).  The flip side of that coin:  Illinois is obviously not Cornell.
3)  Everyone I know with a full ride gets great grades here.  If you're smart enough for a full ride, pretty much assume you'll get top 1/3  (it's really not that hard.  I slack most of the semester and get top 1/3 grades)

4)  Visit the damned schools!  You really, REALLY, can't make an informed decision if you haven't been to the places, sat in on classes, and hung out with students, preferably at bars where they're relaxed.

PM if you like (and ignore IPFreely.  I've had the misfortune of sharing long car rides with him, and trust me, just assume everything he says is a lie...)

Edit:  By sheer coincidence, IPFreely has not yet lied in this thread.

mnewboldc

• View Profile
    • No Record Press
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 05:02:40 PM »
The only reason to go to a non-T6 school at sticker right now is if they got a full (or close to full) scholarship.

You have a full scholarship.

Discussion over.
Cornell 2011