Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How bad of trouble am I in?  (Read 3320 times)

Stole Your Nose!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How bad of trouble am I in?
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 12:15:50 AM »
My suggestion is mitigation.  If the magic 8-ball says "Outlook not so good" on this whole law thing for OP, he should minimize the damage to himself by bailing out on the bad investment.  I'd rather pay off one or two semesters on a crap job than six on the same crap job after another year or two of foregone income and interest accumulation.  You're basically advising a "Buy" (continuing going to law school and increasing the investment) when it's basically a sure thing that his stock is gonna be worthless.  OP ain't so good with the finances anyway, and now you're just extending the amount of time the guy is going to be poor.

So I'd argue that you're actually the one suggesting that the fatty suicide in the pool.   

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 01:08:11 AM »
I'm suggesting that he check with those who matter(not just two  internet guys dukeing it out) and then make his choice.

Plus, I'm telling him to swim. Better to die tired then scared.

Stole Your Nose!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 10:05:06 AM »
I already suggested he speak to an attorney to help him evaluate whether or not to even finish law school.  But if he consults the law school & an attorney, he should bear in mind that he is speaking to two sets of professionals, but both sets have something to gain by him continuing his education.  At this point, the law school has to mark him down somehow as attrition or in a lower bar passage rate; depending on which the school values more and the relative probabilities of each occurring, coupled with however many semesters in tuition remain to be extracted from OP, they could advise him against his actual financial interests.  Likewise, the attorney gains a client if OP decides to continue his education, becomes even more invested in passing the bar, and decides to fight what is likely a losing battle.  Attorneys sell optimism.  So while he should definitely seek out the advice of both of those groups, he may actually be better served by at least coupling it with the advice of random internet person who has nothing to gain from him either way. 

I tend to think that OP will believe whatever he wants to believe.  So I doubt he'd drop out based on the advice of random internet person unless my comments helped him crystallize a fear/thought that he already had. At best, I can hope to sow a few additional considerations into the mix for him.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 11:25:43 PM »
I knew a guy who failed C&F and was denied by the state bar because he had financial problems.  I felt sorry for him. 200K debt and no job. His hole just got deeper and deeper. Did you drop out because of this or find a solution? 
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

barond

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 01:06:48 AM »
What is this?  LOL

Everything worked out well.  Basically, just an overeaction like I'm sure clients do when they freak out.  I took a debtor examiniation and the problem went away.  No, I did not drop out.  That would be stupid and unwarranted for such a minor thing.  A learning experience.

I was curious about your situation because my school also has a 30% attrition rate, but I handled my business because I know its easy to get dismissed.  I did just fine my 1st and 2nd year.  That had to be brutal to wait 2 years between 1L and all that wasted money and time.

like_lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 09:24:09 PM »
"dropping out may be a bit extreme,"

If the poster is legit, he rocked a 2.6 LSDAS GPA and 143, 150 LSAT.  Pretty sure I am not advising him to relinquish his spot at Harvard.  He probably won't be able to pass the bar due to C&F issues, rendering his law school investment pretty much worthless.  Even if by some chance he passes the bar and hangs out his own shingle, most people don't want an attorney who can't even keep himself out of jail.  And since the guy is declaring a bankruptcy, he probably shouldn't accumulate anymore student loan debt that can't be discharged in BK court when he has questionable prospects of being able to land a job that'll allow him to pay it back.  But maybe you're right.  Given OP's remarkable attention to detail and superb judgment, I'm sure he'll be a great addition to the legal community!

you are my new favorite poster

Specks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 08:10:54 PM »
Bankruptcy isn't the end of the world these days as it was a few years back. I've always been of the school that you should disclose because non-disclosure is pretty brutal. I know 1 person who disclosed his foreclosure and passed C&F fine. I know someone else, in a similar situation, who did not because he failed to disclose. It really DOES matter. They care more about you lying to the bar than the actual issue. I don't know why people are telling you to drop out, but I'd consider getting a hold of an ethics professor/lawyer to ask advice of.