Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How bad of trouble am I in?  (Read 3309 times)

barond

• View Profile
How bad of trouble am I in?
« on: February 08, 2010, 10:55:39 PM »
If a student gets a bench warrant for contempt of court- can he get kicked out of school? This was over a real estate deal that I had failed to show up to a Subpoena back in november.  I recently got jailed for 2 days and had to get bonded out. I am planning on filing for bankrupcy within the next week or 2.

How serious is this and should I disclose this?

cooleylawstudent

Re: How bad of trouble am I in?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 11:00:11 PM »
DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES! Failure to disclose it will be an "honor code violation" and get you kicked out and not able to get licensed by the bar. *&^% happens, be honest and hope for the best. Think of it this way no one died, so you stand a decent shot if your honest up front. Its disturbing that you have to ask.

On a sidenote, why couldnt you make it to court? Why seperatly the bankrupt issue?

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 11:34:09 AM »
DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES! Failure to disclose it will be an "honor code violation" and get you kicked out and not able to get licensed by the bar. *&^% happens, be honest and hope for the best. Think of it this way no one died, so you stand a decent shot if your honest up front. Its disturbing that you have to ask.

On a sidenote, why couldnt you make it to court? Why seperatly the bankrupt issue?

If you're already in law school, it's unlikely your school will kick you out for this. You should probably talk to your school's dean of students office to see if it would have any effect or read your school's handbook to find out if there's any information in there. It seems like your main problem is that you plan to file bankruptcy while in law school which could have a detrimental effect on your character and fitness app when it comes time for the bar. You'll definitely have to disclose at that point.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 12:43:18 PM »
So you say that my post is a bad post since I tell him that he has to disclose, and your rebutal is that he should disclose....ok?  ???

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 03:21:40 PM »
So you say that my post is a bad post since I tell him that he has to disclose, and your rebutal is that he should disclose....ok?  ???

Disclosing for character and fitness != disclosing to the law school. Telling him it's an honor code violation when you don't know what his school's honor code is is bad advice.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 08:58:15 PM »
ok, I'll update my responce "ask you school what that their honor code is" Mine requires it. Its worse to ASSUME(makes an ass out of you as me) then to ask. Afterall even it you "snitch yourself out" and find out that you didnt need to, it would be a million times worse to find out latter that you are now in violation with a revocated degree becuase you didnt disclose something up front. If your afraid to ask your school in person, ask a trusted classmate or even better see if its listed on their site. Dont assume though, thats just dangerous.

Stole Your Nose!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 10:00:35 AM »
Bankruptcy is bad for C&F.  Especially a recent one.  And getting arrested & contempt of court?  Yikes.  If you are a 1L, my advice is to drop out.  You will definitely have difficulty passing the C&F part of the bar and you should consult an attorney who handles tricky bar applications to see if it's even worth it to stay in law school.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 09:55:14 PM »
dropping out may be a bit extreme, but talk to those in your school and in possible a licensed attorney in your area who knows more about local requirments/customs.

Stole Your Nose!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 10:17:38 PM »
"dropping out may be a bit extreme,"

If the poster is legit, he rocked a 2.6 LSDAS GPA and 143, 150 LSAT.  Pretty sure I am not advising him to relinquish his spot at Harvard.  He probably won't be able to pass the bar due to C&F issues, rendering his law school investment pretty much worthless.  Even if by some chance he passes the bar and hangs out his own shingle, most people don't want an attorney who can't even keep himself out of jail.  And since the guy is declaring a bankruptcy, he probably shouldn't accumulate anymore student loan debt that can't be discharged in BK court when he has questionable prospects of being able to land a job that'll allow him to pay it back.  But maybe you're right.  Given OP's remarkable attention to detail and superb judgment, I'm sure he'll be a great addition to the legal community!

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 11:16:37 PM »
The next time you get a leg cramp in a pool and remember your a fatass who is out of shape anyways, just go ahead and give up and swallow water. Same idea, same stupid result.