Law School Discussion

LSAT for transfer students

LSAT for transfer students
« on: February 08, 2010, 05:52:06 PM »

If you didnt do as well as you would have liked on your first LSAT, can you take it again while you are in law school to increase your transfer chances?

Re: LSAT for transfer students
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 06:38:22 PM »
It might help but on transfer applications they typically discount LSAT and UGPA in favor of your 1L GPA and professor references.  You could retake LSAT if you got extra time, but if I were you I would focus on 1L grades and class participation.

Julie Fern

• hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 06:55:51 PM »
transfers difficult and unlikely.

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 08:19:50 PM »
difficult an unlikely if you got Bs in TTT and trying to get into Harvard.  If you got straight As and want to move up from T2 to T1, or T1 to T14, chances are not horrible.  Be mindful though - you will get $O scholarships and grants in the higher rated school because they need your money to pay full rides to 175/4.0 people...

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 08:53:50 PM »
do they even ask for LSAT scores on transfer apps?

Julie Fern

• hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 05:35:31 AM »
presumably.

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 09:43:16 AM »
They do, UVA Admissions Dean literally says - "we discount LSAT score in favor of first year law school performance".

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 02:27:07 AM »
They do, UVA Admissions Dean literally says - "we discount LSAT score in favor of first year law school performance".

Quite right.  Grades, first year law school, and soft factors such as letters of recommendation by law profs are 90+% of the transfer application.  And, yes, they are quite difficult.  Except for lateral transfers, grades are *extremely* important.  Check out Art of the Law School Transfer for more.

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 10:15:32 PM »
I was thinking of doing the exact same thing.  However, my understanding is that the first year of law school is really difficult and focus is the key to success.  Why not get the highest GPA possible and great recommendations and a plan of action (i.e. personal statement) explaining Y you want the transfer.  Stay positive. Work Hard.  You can do it!!!

SASS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 12:21:42 AM »
DO NOT RETAKE THE LSAT!  It doesn't matter at all if you want to transfer after 1L.  The only thing schools look at is your GPA and class rank from your 1L school.  I know, I transferred. LSAT only predicts success in law school.  Grades reflect your actual success.  Plus, your transfer school doesn't have to include your LSAT score in their numbers so they could care less.