Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Illinois at Urbana  (Read 1779 times)

spaa

• View Profile
    • Email
University of Illinois at Urbana
« on: February 08, 2010, 03:09:11 PM »
Hello everyone,

Any help really appreciated.

I've been admitted to U. Illinois-Urbana with a full scholarship. Being a T1 (23) I assume that it places well on the Chicago market. But I'm not sure if I want to live there after graduation.

Does anyone have any information about how this school places nationally? The full scholarship is very tempting :) Im also considering Minn with no $$.

Thank you :)

wyatth

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: University of Illinois at Urbana
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 03:12:59 PM »
Worst case, you get a great job in Chicago and then transfer after a few more years to a different office.

StonewallJacksonFan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 04:35:54 PM »
I would go to UofI 4sure.  Got to www.nalpdirectory.com, click advanced search and select UofI on a drop down menu.  You wil see law firms that recruit on campus and many of them are outside of MidWest.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 05:40:59 PM »
Hello everyone,

I've been admitted to U. Illinois-Urbana with a full scholarship. Being a T1 (23) I assume that it places well on the Chicago market. But I'm not sure if I want to live there after graduation.

Does anyone have any information about how this school places nationally? The full scholarship is very tempting :) Im also considering Minn with no $$.

Where do you want to live? 

spaa

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 11:10:56 PM »
I'm from California, so I'd like to keep the option of returning to CA open

StonewallJacksonFan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 11:57:09 AM »
Looks like a lot of big firms doing OCI in UofI have CA offices.  Often with big firms like this you can say during interview that you are from and would like to lvie in CA.  If they like you, they will just fly you for a general screener to CA and if everything is all right give you a job there.

alicrimson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 08:17:07 PM »
Also, times have changed;  however, my father attended U of I and straight out he got a job with a big firm in West Palm Beach, Florida. 20 odd years later, he's still there. I don't think you have to be stuck in the place you go to law school, per se.
Diagnostic Score: 153
Goal: 162
Long way to go....

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 04:28:17 PM »
Hello everyone,

If these are your only two options, UofI easily. Minnesota might be a marginally better school (I haven't checked the rankings lately), but I really doubt it places better in California than UofI. Certainly not enough better to turn down a full scholarship to pay sticker...

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 04:28:59 PM »
Worst case, you get a great job in Chicago and then transfer after a few more years to a different office.

I am reasonably sure that "worst case" at UofI isn't a great job in Chicago at a firm that also has office in California (ie. a big national firm).