Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What does anybody know about Florida Coastal?  (Read 1193 times)

Fruit Basket

• View Profile
What does anybody know about Florida Coastal?
« on: February 07, 2010, 09:35:13 PM »
Is this place a scam or a legitimate tier 4 school?  I realize it is for-profit but does this bode ill for the quality of education or post-law school prospects for employment as an attorney?

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has had any experiences with Florida Coastal one way or another.  Thanks.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: What does anybody know about Florida Coastal?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 05:22:12 PM »
People don't usually speak very highly of it. There were a few flame wars here as a result.

I don't think it's a scam like Madoff was a scam, but it's probably a bad option for 99% of law school applicants. 
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What does anybody know about Florida Coastal?
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 11:55:46 AM »
I was a little bit wary of them when they offered me a scholarship and I didn't even apply.
That seems a bit desperate to me.

That being said, it might be an acceptable option if you want to practice in Jacksonville if you can basically go to Florida Coastal for free.  Things are tough out there right now, so it could be better to be jobless with no debt and a degree from a T4, than Jobless with a ton of debt and a degree from a good regional school.

Be careful about the scholarship offers though.  I think the renewal requirements are really high, so I imagine most students there don't keep their scholarships past the first year.