Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Weighing my options for next fall  (Read 999 times)

Lindali

• View Profile
    • Email
Weighing my options for next fall
« on: February 05, 2010, 08:43:17 PM »
I'm currently in the process of hearing back from schools and deciding where to go next fall, and I would love some input. I'm primarily interested in international human rights law or public interest law. I applied all over so I would have "options." I prefer living in big cities, but would (reluctantly) live in, say Champaign-Urbana, if the quality of the program was vastly superior to the others.

I've been accepted to:

University of IL ($)
University of Maryland
American University
Depaul University
University of Detroit Mercy ($$$)

Waitlisted:

Boston College
Loyola University Chicago
Brooklyn Law School

Waiting to hear from:

Fordham, UC Davis, UC Hastings, Cardozo, Lewis & Clark

Any thoughts?

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Weighing my options for next fall
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 11:25:27 AM »
Illinois seems like the best deal. It's the best school you've been accepted to and will likely give you options throughout the Midwest. If you get accepted at Boston, given you preference for cities, that seems like the best choice. But, it should be one of those two in my opinion. 

StonewallJacksonFan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 11:38:06 AM »
u will be a damned fool if you dont deposit for University of Illinois right now!  Drink milk and stay at UofI law school , fool!

Lindali

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 06:34:37 PM »
I know U of I is great for job prospects in the Midwest, but I'd rather not be limited to one region. Chicago is definitely their biggest market, but I'm not sure about their competitiveness in non-Midwestern cities. There is also the question of access to intern/externships for international law. Champaign-Urbana isn't exactly a 'global hub.'

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 12:43:29 PM »
You're going to be locked into the region your school is in at any of those schools, unless you already have a network to draw from somewhere else. If you want Midwest, UI, if you want New England, Boston.

wyatth

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 11:45:09 PM »
Accepted at UI but WL at Loyola Chicago... weird!

violaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 11:18:12 AM »
You're going to be locked into the region your school is in at any of those schools, unless you already have a network to draw from somewhere else. If you want Midwest, UI, if you want New England, Boston.

+1 They are all regional schools... UIUC seems like far and away the best choice. And Chambana isn't THAT bad ;)