Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: JAG -- Vision Restrictions  (Read 1505 times)

Giraldo

• View Profile
    • Email
JAG -- Vision Restrictions
« on: February 05, 2010, 04:09:07 PM »
SOMEBODY HELP!!:  I'm was about to apply to the JAG office and I was getting very excited about the idea of being an attorney and serving my country at the same time, but then I saw the vision restrictions.  I was hoping you or somebody you know can tell me realistically what chances I have of being selected (assuming my interview goes well/they like what they see professionally and personally).  The answer is not online. I have looked at all of the documents.  I need somebody to tell me if a condition like mine is ever waived (it's under the "waivable" list but I have never heard of anybody being waived--I've known 1 person being rejected because of it but that was 9 yrs ago) or maybe it is, but I shouldn't get my hopes up.  I just really want to prepare myself.  Also, can I increase my chances of being selected if I get lasik/pkr surgery or does it not matter considering my pre-operative prescription is so high (this is also unclear on the website and falls under the "waivable" category).  Please contact me. I would really appreciate some insight.  PS: My prescription is -10, both eyes, correctable to 20/20 in one and 20/40 in other eye w/contacts

lyre

• brightly burns
    • View Profile
Re: JAG -- Vision Restrictions
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 10:34:32 AM »
I'd just talk to a JAG recruiter and see what they suggest.  Having poor vision isn't that unusual so surely they know someone who dealt with the same issue.  You may not want to pay for Lasik if JAG will just waive you through with contact lenses.

I had Lasik a few years ago so if you have any questions on that, feel free to PM me.  It's expensive, but I'd highly recommend it.